Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne

And if I do recall the Uruk-Hai were practically raised from the dead in LoTR. Seems to me that is pretty big part of the movie. Saruman practices dark sorcery which is no different than Warcraft 3. So when you look at the two they are really not any different. If you have a problem with WC3 it seems you would also have a problem with LoTR. Me, I have a problem with neither but that's my personal opinion.

-lutikri55

If I remember correctly they never describe how he created the Urak-Hai but im gonna go check my Tolkien Bestiary for an explanation. He did not however raise them from the dead.
Also in the book Saruman never acctully uses Sorcery he is a smart guy and uses his voice to control others and make others turn to his will.

Just skimmed through the book and it says.
Uruk-Hai: Created by Sauron
"In the Third Age of Sun there came out of Mordor a terrible race of giant Orcs. In black speech they were named the Uruk-Hai. They were as tall as men with all the evil traits of orcs, yet they were stronger and unafraid of light."

Half-Orcs: Created by Saruman
Among the Dunlendings who, in the Thrid Age of Sun, came to Saruman's banner of the White Hand in Isengard there were some whos blood, by the sorcery of Saruman, became mixed with that of the Orcs and Uruk-hai. These were large Lynx-eyes and evil, The Half-orcs mostly perished at the Battle of the Hornburg, either before the fortress walls or in the Huorn forest.

As it's already been mentioned, there are plenty of demons in Lord of the Rings.  Balrog actually means "power demon."

Also keep in mind, Gandalf uses occult magic.  Despite the fact that he is a Maia, closest analogy to Christianity being a lesser angel, he and the other Istari were forbidden to use their powers as Maia, and instead were confined to the limits of humanity (as such they must eat, drink, sleep, etc) plus they can succumb to the moral limitations of men, as seen in Saruman's greed for power and Gandalf's short temper.

That means that all the spells Gandalf uses are magic just like in any other D&D style fantasy.  As he says at the gates of Moria when he can't remember the password, "I once knew every spell in all the tongues of Elves or Men or Orcs, that was ever used for such a purpose."

So, if you have a conviction that Warcraft 3 is 'demonic,' I don't see why you shouldn't feel the same way about LotR.  If it weren't for the fact that Tolkien was a devout Catholic, I imagine LotR would be denounced on every Christian review website, but I guess if a Christian makes something 'demonic' it's ok.

Hey, you could always do some background research on the staff at Blizzard - maybe you will find some obscure graphic artist or co-producer who worked on WC3 who claims to be a Christian, and then it will be ok, right?  
rock.gif

the reason why Lotr is considered christian though is becuase all the valar/maiar and everything was created by

.. ..
Er or was it Er
what ever but he was the one that set the valar on Middle earth and let them have rain over it

So its like God making angels giving them a planet and said have fun but remember i will be watching you and giving you consoul

just my 2cents and a bad ananlogy

Yeah, I think so.  Morgoth comes from the Elvish (Melkor was dubbed Morgoth by the elves), and since Tolkien invented both Elvish dialects (Sindarin and Quenya), they do come from an actual language.  It's interesting trying to guess the real meanings of certain words in Middle-earth from knowledge that you've picked up.

But existing language is something of a moot point.  Every name or word derived from a non-English language of Middle-earth has its own etymological history surrounding it. That's shows how much Tolkien experimented with languages.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LionOfJudah @ July 19 2003,6:36)]the reason why Lotr is considered christian though is becuase all the valar/maiar and everything was created by

..                 ..
Er  or was it Er
what ever but he was the one that set the valar on Middle earth and let them have rain over it

So its like God making angels giving them a planet and said have fun but remember i will be watching you and giving you consoul

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So its like God making angels giving them a planet and said have fun but remember i will be watching you and giving you consoul

No, actually it's a good analogy.  Tolkien even refers to the Valar as angels in many of his letters, and compares Melkor to Lucifer, etc.  The first chapter of the Silmarillion screams Jewish/Christian creation story.

But that doesn't change the fact that it's not a *perfect* analogy to a Christian worldview, because Tolkien never intended it to be that.  (In his own words he considered that to be something greater than him - but he does admit there are Christian themes in his work.)

So there is no Jesus in Middle Earth (nor is there a character who is supposed to represent Jesus, such as the Lion in C. S. Lewis's Narnia.)  And you have an Angel-like character in Gandalf, but he still uses magic instead of God-given powers or the Holy Spirit, etc.

Point being, even though it has many Christian elements, it's still has witchcraft and demons.  If you find those things objectionable in a work of fiction, then you shouldn't like LotR either.

Personally I have no issue with WC3 or LotR, but I'm just saying don't make yourself look like a hypocrite.

As far as the original poster, you have to do some soul-searching for yourself.  What is it you really want to know?  Do you have no problem with it yourself, but just want an excuse to tell your mother so she will let you get WC3?  Or do you have a personal conviction about it yourself, and are looking for justification to play it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Or do you have a personal conviction about it yourself, and are looking for justification to play it?

Great Question Hyde.  That is something myself and I sure many other Chrsitians deal with everyday, not just in games, but in a great many things.

If I remember correctly, middle earth was created by Illuvatar, or something like that. Gandalf probably does not represent Jesus, but he does have a resurrection-like episode. Everyone in the original Fellowship thought he was dead just before they left Moria, because he was stopping a Balrog from threatening the Fellowship and took the Balrog down with him, but then appeared in Fangorn Forest to Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Gandalf probably does not represent Jesus, but he does have a resurrection-like episode.

Yes he does! I didn't mean to imply that there were no allusions to Christ in LotR, cause there are actually quite a few.

Not only Gandalf but also Aragorn (particularly in his return and the prophecy of him being a healer) in Return of the King, and not to mention Frodo (I won't say anything else for those who haven't read the books, but just watch the movie this December... and for those who have read the books pay close attention to the dialogue in the last chapter.)

Ok this is one of my favorite topics so I better shut my trap before I ramble on any longer and further derail this thread from WC3.
tounge.gif

And thanks for the welcome CCGR.

Ooops... You're right - I transposed those names/meanings...

Eon

Back