Thoughts on crafting

Xaris

In every mmo I've played, crafting was an important part for me. It seemed to add some depth to the game other than just questing. However, after playing Aion and hitting max crafting there, I'd though I'd lay off of crafting in Rift and just focus on gathering.

But now I am getting the itch to craft on an alt and am looking for your thoughts. I checked the Rift forums but it seems that there everyone is right and wrong at the same time and there is not much in objective help.

1. Is crafting just a mini game or are the higher lvl items crafted actually worth anything?
2. If I were considering crafting for the sole purpose of making money, in your mind what is the most profitable and why?
3. What is the most beneficial craft?
4. Is the market saturated in one particular craft over another on our shard?
5. Do you gain exp from crafting?
6. If you have experience in other games, what is crafting in Rift like compared to crafting in FFXI, Lotro, WoW, Aion

Thanks for your insights,
John.

1. Is crafting just a mini game or are the higher lvl items crafted actually worth anything?

This one I cannot answer. I'm only level 24 on my main. However, it does seem to be important... trinkets/jewelery, potions, enchantments... those are the things I've played with so far..and they seem to be valuable to me.

2. If I were considering crafting for the sole purpose of making money, in your mind what is the most profitable and why?
There's far more money to be had farming artifacts, and artifacts are far less frustrating than needing 2 gems, recycled metal, and some random drop. Although artifacts are not part of the crafting system, so you are free to pick three professions and still farm artifacts.

3. What is the most beneficial craft?
So far, I've found alchemy, flower-picking, and butchering to be a good combo. Endless heal and mana potions is always nice.

4. Is the market saturated in one particular craft over another on our shard?
I don't know.

5. Do you gain exp from crafting?
No.

6. If you have experience in other games, what is crafting in Rift like compared to crafting in FFXI, Lotro, WoW, Aion

It's an open system, much like WoW. You can pick 3 gathering, 3 crafting, or any mix of the two. However, there are "good" parings. Enchanting, tailoring, and butchering go well together. herb/alch/butchering, mining/jeweling/butchering... can't remember the other pairs that I've played with.

Just on a side note each craft has dailies that give you the chance to get better items then the ones you get without the rep and quests. Its these items that will be very useful at top level. Some of the top crafted items are very good.

The one thing that I can not say much for was that the Expert instance items found in the guild hall seem to be some of the best items I have seen in game. This is not to say that there are not comprable crafted items but if there are I have not yet seen them.

The market is flooded with alot of things, but overall outfitters have seemed to be in highest #'s. Most everyone wanted to be able to make bags, and cloth is almost across the board venderable due to the low prices on the market. (not worth selling most of it on the AH in my opinion.)

Back