The human mind

Shark

I have some questions for everyone.

#1: When you think, do you think in sound, sight, or feeling? Possibly in more then one?

#2: On average how many things are you thinking about and how often.

#3: Do you ever have trouble sleeping because you cant stop thinking?

#4: Have you been diagnosed with add or adhd?

It seems apparent to me that myself and others may actually think nowhere near the standard of what gos on in a normal human mind. To the best of my knowledge, an average person thinks in one of three ways, by auditory, visual, or by feeling. They think about one thing, concentrating on it, and only think if the need comes to pass. People with add think of one thing at a time, but switch to other thoughts. People with adhd have many thoughts crammed in their heads that switch around like bingo balls in a bingo ball spinning thing and think in 2 or 3 of the types of thinking all at once. It seems people with adhd arnt able to control whether theyre thinking or not. I was diagnosed with adhd at an early age, but was never treated. We thought it just passed when i stopped bouncing off walls. It seems to be that my entire analysis of the human mind only applies to people with adhd. Thus, the purpose of this topic is for me to better understand just how everyone thinks. As for myself, I never stop thinking. Multiple thoughts are always running through my head. And whenever I think its always in the three types. From what I've been told, when a normal person thinks of a phrase, say, an auditory person, they hear the words in their head. For me, I hear the words in my head, i see the words like im printing them out, and Im winded as if I were actually speaking and the emotion related to the phrase presents itself. I never thought I was any different from anyone else until today really. When it became apparent that nobody understood a blimey thing I was saying. So, I ask that someone may take the time to go through this all and answer these questions, in hopes of better understanding eachother.

#1 i have no idea.

#2 i can never seem to stop thinking about multiple things. and it always bounces from one thing to the next. after a while i cant even remember what i was thinking about in the first place before i went on my tangent.

#3 yes yes yes.

i cant count the sleepless nights from which i cannot seem to escape.

#4 i never was diagnosed but i think that i still may have add.

alot of times i have a hard time explaining myself to ppl because i make connections in my mind that no one else sees. ill say something to a friend that would make perfect sense to me but he will look at me like, where the heck did you come up with that.

#1 It fluctuates for me. Sometimes visual, sometimes audiotory, sometimes 'feeling' and sometimes any combination of all three

#2 The most i've ever conciously tracked where five separate thought processes, but it's more like a computer, a few seconds on proccess 1, a few secs on process 2 ...etc. Whether i can handle more than that I don't know, never tried, though I am usually only running two at any given time (1 for whatever I'm working on, 2 for whatever I'm planning to do next)

#3 I have sleep troubles unrelated to thought process so i can't be sure on this

#4 no. Although when I was younger I 'mumbled' because my mouth couldn't keep up with what I was thinking. Spent 6 years in speach therapy learning to keep my mind and mouth in sync.

I have ADD, and I've just been freed of my medication for it. I can do and or think more thing at once, but it slows me down a lot. I find it hard to write and listen at the same time, as in taking notes for class. I still am easily distracted, and I can tune out just about anything that is going on around me to concentrate on what I am doing in a tunnel vision sort of manner. Like, say I start to daydream in the middle of class, well that daydream can quickly turn in to a dream if I'm tired and not careful about it. If I'm not tired, the daydream could easily last the whole class, especially if it involves building something like a rocket.

Well I just try not to think about any of it all since it's one of those things like thinking about finite vs. infinite that just makes your head explode. As far as ADD goes doctors scare the living daylights out of me so I don't go to them though anyone who knows me would say I am.

-Trevor
-amusedtoe

#1: i am a software dev so when i think i see the screens in front of me or see the code...or even like see the flowing in the code.....sounds..not really...

#2: 2/3 similair to kidan...but i switch between tasks way too much.....
#3: yep..especially when new ideas keep running around in my mind ...
#4: no...but i have been diagnosed with being easily distracted..whether that was a diagnosis based on an established "condition" or a symptom of something else i can't remember .... i really find it difficult sometimes to focus since stuff runs around in my mind...end up having to write things down....it seems to quiet my mind a bit......making lists of thoughts are a big pastime for me...

I've tried to ponder how the human mind works in objective terms (i.e. relating it to a computer on all levels possible)

I sat there for ten minutes, not moving, mind going at lightspeed, then I gave up.

1. Never feeling... more often auditory than visual, but that depends.

2. It depends on what I'm doing. When formulating what I'm about to say its just the one thing. Calculations in my head I alternate several numbers around, which sometimes gets me confused, but I've gotten the hang of it now. When figuring something very complex out, I begin working on each bit alternativly (its usually a compound something) but as I get closer I work on all of them at once and they kind of unite, I guess... hard to explain.

3. I used to never be able to sleep because I thought to much, now its not as often because I have a lot better control over my head. I tell myself to shuttup and if my mind feels compliant, I just stop. It helps if I open my eyes though because if my eyes are closed I like instantly begin seeing things in my head, whatever I'm thinking, so I keep my eyes open into the darkness and then stop speaking to myself in my head.

1. Never feeling... more often auditory than visual, but that depends.

2. It depends on what I'm doing. When formulating what I'm about to say its just the one thing. Calculations in my head I alternate several numbers around, which sometimes gets me confused, but I've gotten the hang of it now. When figuring something very complex out, I begin working on each bit alternativly (its usually a compound something) but as I get closer I work on all of them at once and they kind of unite, I guess... hard to explain.

3. I used to never be able too sleep because I thought to much, now its not as often because I have a lot better control over my head. I tell myself to shuttup and if my mind feels compliant, I just stop. It helps if I open my eyes though because if my eyes are closed I like instantly begin seeing things in my head, whatever I'm thinking, so I keep my eyes open into the darkness and then stop speaking to myself in my head.

4. nope.

Back