The big book question

ToJ | Dead_Aim

Im new to this site (Ive been here about 10 days) so I don't know if something like this has been posted before but I was just wondering what books of the Bible you find most useful (to you). I know they all have signifagant meaning but I tend to read some books more than others.

Anyhow here are mine:

Romans (Helps you witness better)
John 1 (Shares God's gift and the story behind it)
Matthew (tells you what not to do and how to further enhance your walk with God).

Sadly, I don't read my Bible too often. I have it by my side (two of em, actually). I read them often enough, but not as much as I'd like.
So far, I really enjoy Proverbs, because in all senses of the book, I am a fool and a scorner (I really have no problem with the latter, except it means that I'm the former).
Revelation is one of my more treasured books, as well, speaking of the End, and you know me, the Doomsday Cynicist. That's my partner right there, hand in hand. John and I are close ol' chums.
Genesis is an excellent book, as is the Gospel of John. For great stories of the Word, I really enjoy Job. An excellent story (five to six chapters for a guy to say: "Job, other dudes, I'm tired of listening to you guys bash God. I'm gonna say something. Job, other dudes, I'm tired...GEEZ! Five freaking chapters for him to say his mind, which is a tiny passage! That's a load, I think. ANd then Who would speak but God? Wow! I love Job: it's an awesome book.
1 and 2 Kings are also fairly interesting. But the Pentateuch (minus Genesis and the first eighteen or so chapters of Exodus) bores me to freaking death. I can't get through it.
We also seem to forget the coolness of Esther and her story. I enjoy reading up on her (though I haven't for about five years). She's a cool girl to model after. I mean, "If I die, I die." Not much else left, is there?

OT - 1/2 Kings, 1/2 Chronicles, and Nehemiah

NT - Acts, Ephesians

Maybe you want to know why too...

Kings/Chronicles - They pound in your head the benefits and joy of obeying God versus the disaster and calamity that happens when we disobey and turn from God. Elisha and Elijah are some of the coolest biblical people. And the story of Jehoshaphat (II Chron. 20) is one of my favorites.

Nehemiah - All around cool dude. Stood up for his beliefs. It was also the first truly joyous times for the Jews in a loooooong time.

Acts - Shows what we are capable of doing when we work with the Holy Spirit. It's the beginning of the Christian Church. How cool is that? And it is just really amazing to read how God worked among the early believers.

Ephesians - Good stuff about families. And the Armor of God in Chapter 6 is fantastic.

I also like Revelations Ultima. Its the only book that is written that relates to stuff that WILL happen not that has happend. It will also scare the living daylights out of you with what it says. I should have added that to my list. just consider this added.
tounge.gif

You know, I can't actually say "I like book A best."

IMO, picking a 'favorite' book of the Bible, causes you to read that one more, to open it up instead of other portions.

As Ultima (I'm not picking on you, just you provided a great example) said, he finds the Pentateuch boring (with the exception of Genesis and a few chapters of Exodus). Yet when you read Leviticus and Deutronomy you see just how Holy and clean God wants us to be. There are important and necessary lessons within those two books, as there are in all the books.

While we may not understand or need the lesson now, if we choose the Bible as a whole rather than just a portion of it, we have all the tools God has provided for us, so when the time comes we will understand the lesson for when we need it.

Actually, Dead Aim, you're only partially right. Many instances of the NT tell of something that WILL come. 2 Peter 3:10 tells of the day of the Lord (not the Day of Christ...), and what will happen there. Listen to this pleasant display: "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up."
Isaiah 14:12-17 tells of the fall of Satan (and Satan's Doom is revealed within Revelation 19). "How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, you who weakened the nations! For you have said in your heart: 'I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation on the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.' Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol, to the lowest depths of the PIt. Those who see you will gaze at you, and consider you, saying: 'Is this the man who made the earth tremble, who shook kingdoms, who made the world as a wilderness and destroyed its cities, who did not open the house of his prisoners?'"
Not too cool, is it? But it's prophecy.....and is yet to happen. Not hating on ya, just pointing out it's not just Revelation that reveals what is to come.
I suppose you're right Kidan, but, geez.....it gets dull fast. The height, width, sides and types of wood for whoall and whatnot really bores me.

Ultima, your comments are exactly why we need to read outside commentaries of the Bible (in regards to the other thread we have going). The Pentateuch is an incredible display of prophetic words regarding the Messiah, Jesus Christ. The types of wood, the colors, the Feasts, even each item within the tabernacle...all have meaning when you understand the significance of each item. I agree, they can sometimes be slow reading.

Just some things to get you started. Purple is always a sign of royalty. Acacia wood is twisted and not very pretty. It was to show man's frailty. But the acacia wood is almost always covered in gold. Hmmm, ugliness covered in gold. Sounds like what Jesus does to us. Anyway, just a few things to point out how cool these chapters can be.

If you want to get around the "boring" books hahahaha try this; read them to get the times and dates in the geneology then add them to find the age today also when you do that you will see right around every 2000 years a world changing event happened. It makes it alot more interesting and in between all the boring stuff there is some really good stuff just doing it this way takes away that mind numbing "this one begot that one who begot this one"
smile.gif

God Bless

Actually, I find the "begots" very interesting because they help pound in the authenticity of the Bible...the Jews were, as I understand it, very careful about historical accuracies and such exact genealogies help reinforce the truth and historical legitimacy of the entire Bible

I agree with Kidan about not picking "favorite books", but I'd say the ones I feel I enjoyed most while studying have been Ecclesiastes and Romans...Ecclesiastes is very interesting, especially when you consider who it was written by and how it was written...and in the end, it shows what all people will find if they decide to do Solomon's experiment themselves...that all is vanity except for God
smile.gif

Ecclesiastes didn't fit Solomon's nature that we read abotu elsewhere though...perhaps it was him, perhaps it was a lamenting king, not Solomon...perhaps it was.
Just like Luke the author of Acts.

Well, yeah, SSquared....I guess I can see you're right. Never thought of it that way. Interesting enough (and it proves God is a cynic!), I got through about half of Deuteronomy without putting the Bible down.
He's got a weeeeeeeeeeird sense of humor, that God guy.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the Jews were, as I understand it, very careful about historical accuracies and such exact genealogies help reinforce the truth and historical legitimacy of the entire Bible

Correct. And this goes along with understanding why some of these things are in the Bible in the first place. Understanding the importance the Israelites had with genealogy makes it that much more interesting when they return from the exile. Much of this information and the family trees were lost.

Back