Terraria player here...maybe do minecraft too :)

Logos

okay so I am very intrigued with Terraria, and the type of game it is. I know minecraft is a whole lot more of the strictly mining and building. I guess it is because these are different types of games than the normal RTS or RPG that I normally play. Anyways, I am babbling, do I need to purchase the pre-paid version to play or can I just play the beta versions for now until release?

Here's the link to the game site:

This is copied from that site:

Purchase now!
When Minecraft is finished, it will sell for €20.00.
If you pre-purchase now during beta, you pay just €14.95!

Please note that when you buy the game, you're paying for the game as it is right now!
You will also get the full version of Minecraft when it is released. Read the copyright information for more information on your purchase.
Please log in or register to pre purchase.
(Click here to buy the game for someone other than yourself)

Here's what you get:

You get early access to the game to a discounted price!
You help fund the development of Minecraft
Custom skins in multiplayer
Once you've bought the game, it's yours. No DRM.

--------------

Using Google Euro to US Dollar converter: 20 = 29.13 US Dollars; 14.95= 21.78 US Dollars

You can try the free classic version for free - that should give you a "feel" for the game (if you can get it to run). It's right on the link page I listed above.

You can't play multiplayer with any thing free - so you have to buy beta in order to play multiplayer.

Since I don't know what you know about Minecraft and I already had this posted in another section, I thought I'd just copy it over here as well.

Is this an MMORPG of some sort? A fighting game? A building game?

MMORPG - hmmm I would say no. Massively multiplayer online playing game Yes lol Just has nothing to do with a role - just being yourself.

Fighting game - well, if you want it to be yes. Monsters spawn at night and can be found under ground as well. There are Zombies, Skeletons, Spiders, and Creepers.

Zombies are the easiest to defeat because they are slow, and you can hear them coming because the moan all the time.

Skellys are tough cause they shoot arrows at you, but it takes a few before you die. The Zombies and Skellys burn up when exposed to the sun.

Creepers, well they love to give hugs and when they do there is an EXPLOSION! They are like walking TNT. The tough thing about them is they like to sneak up on you. All you hear is SSSSSTTT BOOM!!! lol

The Spiders you can sometimes hear coming as well. They can also climb walls, so it's tough to keep them out of places. Both the Creepers and Spiders are willing to swim after you.

If you place torches out you can keep them from spawning near the light. The first night is the toughest because you have to build a shelter before night time because that is when all the mobs spawn. Usually someone is willing to help you out tho. But your first night and the first few days of building your shelter - this is when I would consider it to be a "fighting" game. This is why one of the first things you craft are a wooden sword and torches!

There is also PVP, which some servers use I guess. As far as I know, on the server listed here and the one I play on, we don't do PVP. But, if you want to have some fun and the other person does, you can have a mutual PVP. My sons do that.

Building - YES!! I think it's the main point to the game. If you can imagine it, you can probably build it. There are other things besides just solid blocks such as pressure plates, doors, pistons, switches. There is also lava and water to play with.

You can make dies to color the wool. You have to "craft" certain things like logs into wood planks, wood planks into sticks, stone which is made from cobble, or sandstone which is natural or made from sand. You have to make all your tools and can make beds, bowls, bookshelves, compasses, maps, steps, half blocks, torches, buckets etc.

You also have to hunt or grow stuff to make food such as cooked ham, cake, bread, mushroom soup. You grow and harvest sugar cane, wheat. and mushrooms.

You have to Mine for your some of supplies. Some of them you can smelt into other materials. Like iron ore into iron ingots, sand turns into glass, etc. Then you use them in your crafting.

There are sheep for wool, cows for hide (to make armor), pigs for ham, and chickens for eggs (they lay them randomly). You can also get a pet wolf if you see one and give them a few bones until they fall in love with you. They don't usually last long tho, they tend to walk off cliffs etc. But they will attack anything you attack and anything that attacks you. If they have a red collar on, they are tamed. Don't hit a wolf tamed by someone else because they WILL kill you.

It can also be an adventure game. You can explore the unknown land, visit neighbors that are far out. You can swim, walk, and jump. Climbing up and down some of the mountains can be an adventure all to it's self.

You can look up all the recipes or blueprints for the things you have to craft or make on the Minecraft Wiki Page. Or ask players while your in game.

It's an infinite game because once you finish building something, you want to build another thing. The more you play the game, the more knowledge you have to apply to the next building project which makes it bigger and better than the last one. If you get bored with your project, there's usually someone you can help out.

There is in game chat, so you can chat with other players.

Almost forgot, there are also note blocks, so you can make music if you want to! Seriously check out some youtube videos. A few people have even made a CPU. You can use red stone to conduct currents for On/Off switches.

If you get the game, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Yeah, and ... um... well ... let's see ... and there's ... or you can...

Nevermind, I think Abea was pretty thorough! :D Great post, Zippy/Abea. Where's the "Like" button?

wow info overload! :) Thanks, I will have to look into maybe picking this one up next week, after payday of course... :) Although I may be able to squeeze some money out of my wallet somehow before it screams for mercy... :p

Abea, you are wonderful and that is truly a wonderful description.

But you know what got me into minecraft? These guys and their adventures!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdEFmxRmNE

Even if you don't play minecraft, it's really fun to watch these guys go at it, and they have an entire series of adventures from just playing the game normally to playing in adventure mode to playing on customized maps.

HAHA I can get a bit long winded, it's the writer in me. :D But thanks! It was actually a posted I did somewhere else on the forum in reply to questions that were asked.

I can't believe I forgot the people! That IS the best reason to play.

And I've seen those videos - they are pretty funny. The way I got in was watching costar and his (mis)adventures as well. But I like those guys better just cause I like their accents! :p

Okay took a look at the wiki and was very impressed. Gotta get my old imagination juices flowing back from my "lego" days. :)

Back