Tankadin post TBC

The changes asked for are for the tanking gear itemizations, not for the Ret/Holy gear. This refers to the non-set plate for Prot spec as well as the Prot Tier4/5/6 armors. The thread that this came from refers to Kara and 25man raid tanking not 5man.

In Kara and 25mans taking less damage is mute. You are constantly being spammed heals from beginning of fight to end. Our mana is always full and cant be used fast enough.

Base Int really is fine for tanking beyond 5mans. In 5mans this would be an issue and we would need a non-raid tanking set in our bags. One that did give us more mana.

edit..the people that say we need more of a mana pool do not represent the pally community at large. If you take a look at who is actually tanking Gruul and Kazzak, none of them say that.

Last edited:
Basically then, Blizzard is acknowledging that there is no one pally class, and you have different pallies based on spec (and that they require drastically different gear) while telling the priest community that there is only one priest class, and spec has nothing to do with anything, and we have to live with our extremely poor itemization.

gg bliz.

==EDIT==

By the by, I'm not argueing with you. Just pointing out the disparity in how blizzard deals with its customers.

Help me understand cause I have not been following Priests since 60. Are the differences in the Incarnate Raiment and the Incarnate Regalia not supporting multiple specs?
Is it the attempt to combo Holy/Shadow DPS together?
edit...yeah also not arguing.. healthy discussion I agree, and it is with crossed fingers that I look forward to the new content patch because I too fear any buff has stealth nerfs behind it.

The issue with priest is that shadow priests and non-shadow priests deliver their damage differently, and in doing so, look to support damage differently.

For shadow priests, the healing done on the DPS set is pointless. Crit is pointless for shadow word: Pain and mind flay and spirit is pointless.

For non shadow priests looking to do damage, they rely on crit (through holy specialization and\or force of will) and spirit (through spiritual guidance and improved divine spirit). And plus healing\damage is a given because disc\holy priests need to use healing spells (as opposed to Vamperic embrace) to heal. By the way, healing via VE is not affected by +healing.

So shadow priests want a set that is +shadow damage, less crit, less spirit, less or no +healing. Makes sense because that is the crux of their spec. Yet blizzard said, over and over and over again, the shadow priest is not a seperate entity unto itself from the priest class. Therefor, no set will be designed to support that specific build. That means they have to fight with warlocks over non-set items. At least pallies can differentiate plate tanking items from warrior items because pally items tend to have int, spi, or mana regen. What seperates non class gear that is more for warlocks vs shadow priests, well nothing, because they rely on the exact same stats.

To sum up, priests have been arguing for three distinct sets, one for shadow damage (+shadow damage being the main stat), one for non-shadow damage (+spi, +crit being the main stats) and one for healing because you have those three distinct possibilities within the priest class.

Back