Squeezing out more frames per second?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
When I play CoD4, I don't quite get full (30) frames per second.

What can I do to squeeze more frames per second out of my notebook computer's hardware?

Here are some GREAT tips that really work, I was averaging 105 fps and after these I stay steady at 125, in the middle is a web address and they have many Fantastic guides there as well, I hope they help you Tek:)

The most important part of setting up your cod4 config (Configuration)are the console commands. To do this you need to run COD4 multiplayer, choose your account, go into options, game options, and Enable Console.

Now when you hit your ~ key the console will drop down. The settings you can get to in "options" are nothing compared to the literally thousands you have in the console (we will get to video options later). For your sake, we will only have you put the most important in your cod4 config.

http://www.progaming-tips.com/cod4-config.html

/com_maxfps 125
One of the most important commands in cod4 is the FPS command, and Ill tell you why. You probably already know that more fps makes the game feel much smoother. What you might not know is that COD4 is based on the q3 engine and is designed to work at 125 FPS.

What this means for you is that your going to have problems interacting with the game under 125 FPS. This can mean any thing from not being able to climb objects, or even bad hit detection during fire fights. The problem is your fps is set to 85 by default, lets fix it. Bring down you console and type "/com_maxfps 125" (with out "").

/cg_fov 80
Next up is the field of view command. FOV(field of view) is basically how much you can see on your monitor at one time. The higher the number the more you can see, which will give you a huge advantage over those who don't use this command. Default is 65 max is 80, to change it bring down your console and type "/cg_fov 80".

/r_drawdecals 1
Another helpful command is "r_drawdecals", set it to 1 for on and 0 for off. Its off by default, and don't be surprised if you turn it on then have to turn it off to get into certain servers. It basically cleans up some of the random paper and trash on the ground, and gives you an fps boost. But some servers want you to have bad fps and wont let you in unless its set to 0(note that the other commands will work fine on any server).

/maxpackets 100
Maxpackets next, this command command usually helps people who have good fps but bad hit registration. Default is 30 if your fps is set to 125 you should set maxpackets to this "/maxpackets 100".

/snaps 30
This command tells your cod4 server how many times to update positions of players, bullets ect per second. Default its 20 setting it to "/snaps 30" should make movement look smother and hits register better.

/r_drawsun 0
Disables the sun and a bunch of effects that is causes saving you a few fps.

/cg_brass 0
Turns off shell ejection. Not having to render them should send a few more fps your way, a good addition to your CoD4 config.

Roger that. I'll try those out and report back here. Thanks, guys!

My framerate was okay before and the tweaks made it better. (It's my framerate in the World At War beta that's awful.)

Thanks again, guys!

Right now for the Beta there's not much you can do except turn the settings down, Visit the Cod Hq and comb the forums, I saw some tips on Settings but did not read them, tomorow[or today since its 2:48 am germany time] I will go over them myself and if I can find anything I will post it. I am glad those commands helped, they did not work well for Captain Tea so its a trial and error thing, btw Nice Shootin Tek [Tex]:D

Back