Some hardware advice

mrpopdrinker

Ok it is just about time for me to get my upgrades and I wanted a last bit of advice if you guys dont mind. We decided to go to a local computer store to get the parts. What I want to know is if these will last me for awhile. I want to be able to play Half life 2 and Doom 3 and I am hoping it will last about a year. Here are the parts.
Processor
MOBO
And two of these
Are these good choices?

The chip and board will definetly be enough for HL2, should be enough for DOOM 3 if you dont max the gfx out. As for the memory, look into more then just 512, as most games today seem to only barely run with most options up on 512 ddr, which I run rite now, and some games (Halo, morrowind, bf1942, and kotor) just barely run at ful gfx on those, altho I do lose some FPS in halo and bf1942, so maybe a gig of ram would be better.

Ok thanks. I will look into getting a gig of ram then. Although I think I will get the upgrades now and then slowly put some more RAM into it. It wouldent be as big a problem if I dident have to upgrade to windows XP to use a gig of RAM.

I say rather go with 512 ram like ur choice. However, if u want to push things up 1 gig won't hurt at all
smile.gif

The processor and Motherboards are great choice. Athlon is def. better choice then Intel, and Asus is one of the best recommended mobo, and recommended by meh too
smile.gif

What of the Video card though?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flash @ Feb. 15 2004,10:31)]aye Radeon 9500 pro should be more then enuff to achieve ur goal.
I was thinking so. I was going to get the upgrades today actually. We took my PC all the way to fenton to my sisters house (I cant do mobo and processor so my brother in law was going to help me) and then we found out the hardware store is closed on sundays. Thats was a big let down.
sad.gif
We are not sure if I will need a new case or not. If I do I am thinking of waiting till next month to let my wallet get a bit fatter.

I just got them about three days ago. Although the Mobo changed to a ASUS A7N8X. I have been having some problems with my AGP and was wondering if any of you could help me out a bit. The AGP speed will not turn on. I go into the SMARTGART turn it to 8X it says the setting will take affect when I restart so long as it thinks it is ok. However it never does take affect. Now my games have been running alright so I was wondering is this thing lying or is it (AGP) really off? My card is a Radeon 9500 PRO and my catalyst version is 4.2.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Mar. 01 2004,4:42)]check the agp speed in the bios
The way my bios is I dont think I can just go in there and turn it on and off. I do however have AGP 8X enebled which I think is the closest I can come to turning it on in the bios.

I just ran the dxdiag tool clicked on disply and it says AGP texture acceleration not available. I dont understand this. The card supports agp 8X and the motherboard does as well. I am going to try going into the bios again and try to see if I missed something.

Back