Purpose / Direction

Glitch

To start with i must say : This isn't necessarily about, "What does God Say About....". I give permission to any admin, at your own authority and discretion to move this thread where it is more appropriate, yet in my own mind.... this was the only place i felt it could be discussed properly. ANYWAYS

In the Sunday morning class i have been attending recently in my Church, we have been talking about a fascinating topic. The topic could be best described as "purpose".
The Leader of the discussion is a large business man. He has learned multiple business' philosophies that he relates to us as believers; our own life application. The most recent one he has shared is a program to discover a business' main purpose of being. The program is based upon three ideas which can be related to purpose / direction. These ideas are as follows: Passion, Best in the World, and Economic Engine.
A Diagram he shared with us is as follows :

untitled-1.jpg

This diagram uses the idea that where your passion, your talent, and your success (economic engine) meet is where your most effective direction (and purpose) come from.

To elaborate on these topics, the discussion leader explained each section as follows:

Passion : What you live for. What do you wake up and just live your day to do? What are you the most passionate about? (in a way) Where do you get your thrill?

Best in the World : Just as it sates, what are you the most gifted at? What is the talent (or gift) God has given you which you excel at? If people around you were asked about you, how would they describe you or what would they say about you?
[ for example, if people asked Michael Jordan's teammates about what he is talented in, they probably wouldn't say, "Man, that guy can make great Spaghetti." Micheal Jordan's teammates would probably talk about his shooting ability, ball handling, and his great teamwork.

Economic Engine : [warning: this section is teh most confusing, please try and understand or pm me for more explanation] How is your success defined or measured. For example, Starbucks' success is probably based around cups of coffee sold in a day. or a bank's success is based around the profit gain vs. profit lost from each bank customer.
Billy Gram probably measures his success quantitative more than quality. Billy Gram can't disciple every person he has lead to Christ, yet he sure can bring them to Christ; while other leaders gain their success by how many lives they have invested in (enough that their "disciple" continuously follows God).
How is your success measured?

Now after explaining all that.....

I wanted to discuss this idea of the your direction and purpose. I'm not sure where to start this discussion. What you think of this program? What is your passion, best in the world, and economic engine that all lead to purpose.
(if you are still confused on this topic, please send me a PM and i will try and explain the best i can about these ideas.)
I guess i will start, and i give you all permission to help me, encourage me, or give me ideas of ways to live out my direction.

My Own

Passion : Advancing God's Kingdom in my self with worship and prayer; in other believers in accordance to Proverbs 27:17; and to the lost by living a lifestyle of Christ to be an example.

Best in the World : God has gifted me with the gift of speaking (as in public speaking), I enjoy and excel at it as well; Prayer; And (my semi shakey one) Life application of Scripture.

Economic Engine : I, at first, related my success by " Outcome vs. Opportunity" ; yet as most of you have probably found out, we don't always see the outcome of our servant hood. Which i was really troubled with. thus i changed my statement to as follows : Obedience per Opportunity. I don't always see teh outcome of my sacrifice, so i will base my sacrifice on the obedience of my own following.​

As i still have a LONG way to go to finish this "program"... i would like to throw this out there. What do you think of the program? Feel free to throw your own ideas out. And i ask this, "if you know me well enough, please help me critique my own set up. So i can more fully understand my direction".

Last edited:
Nice triple-module analysis...elegant... but I would suggest an addition/change...

Passion: Improving faith, belief, and reason - from the simple surprise and improvement of hope in a single individual, to the global redirections of the course of the world through prayer and mutual-understanding, to flexing and developing my own.

Best in the World (Talent): God has given me insight into the "unspoken" words and symbols we all hear/use in conversation (but rarely listen to) and sometimes in the world-at-large it get glimpses into likihoods and possiblities. As to skills... they abound, and are of little consequence beyond their utility.

Service to Others: I assist those I can, that the Lord brings before me, by giving them a living and livable example of a life purchased and owned by Christ. Also, I serve through some volunteer work locally, I serve in the military, and I serve the world in prayer... Additional, utility for my talents and skills are "as always" in work and growing.

Economic Engine (Self support): I meet the two primary requirements in the Word of God - I can support a family, and I am not a burden upon society or the church monietarily. All profit beyond this is a blessing not a requirement. Note also that the firstfruits of blessing and sustanance should be returned to the Lord's service (10% of each, or the total).

If you want to maintain the three-module format, call the third:
SERVICE or SERVICE AND ECONOMICS

Back