... People who claim that God is really evil?

HalcyonLioness

So I'm minding my own business, reading some of my favorite webcomics... when I see this: http://nerdcubed.co.uk/2011/10/19/god/

Okay, I'll be frank: I didn't read the article through. I just couldn't. I barely even skimmed it once. First sentence alone was enough to make me turn away and the last sentence broke my heart.

If anyone here has the iron will to read and analyze this for me, I'd be grateful. I just don't have the balls and the knowledge myself to hop into the debate for this one (and I hate debating, period).

Thanks and God bless, all.

I scanned the article - it was pretty much as you suspected - drivel. I wouldn't worry myself about it, though. It is a classic example of what Paul warned about in Titus:

But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him. You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned. Titus 3:9-11 (NIV)

"...avoid foolish controversies...because they are unprofitable and useless." God says, just stay away from that stuff.

There's nothing here but a petulant rant more befitting a highschooler than the college graduate the writer claims to be. His "points" are all laughably simplistic and underdeveloped, not meriting a response at all.

These people are deluded, they write these things not because they have a point to make, but rather because simply want to stroke their own disobedient egos and justify their senselessly embittered attitudes. Ultimately they're only preaching to themselves and to the choir, which can be seen in at least one of the ensuing comments.

There is nothing to be gained by debating these people. Though they would never admit it, they're invariably at least as dogmatic in their rejection of God as we are in our confession of Him. You're not going to change their minds by reasonable discussion, the only thing to be done is leave them be, lest you give the satisfaction of another opportunity to vomit up their worthless ideas once more.

Without a concept of love that includes destruction and wrath towards wickedness there is no truth. God's rescue plan revealed through His Son was to show His mercy even though He was not required to do.

Us, humans, all of us, are rebellious tyrants who live against the glorious creation of God. For this we are worthy of the wrath such as God exhibited towards peoples who were unrepentant in the old testament. This should be a banner for us of the gravity of God's grace and we should live out our Christian life with joyful fear and trembling for our God is an awesome God.

Last edited:
Thank you, brothers and sisters, for setting me at ease. It's rough going having a lack of connections out here, and knowing that the Lord has readily provided an intelligent community to turn to really helps with dealing with issues one would run into day to day.

To God be the glory, and thank you again, all.

Don't worry man, its nothing more than a drawn out "Problem of Evil" argument that non-theists always use. Nevertheless, it also has had just as many refutations, such as one by philosopher Bill Craig who said (not a direct quote mind you) "Really when you think of it, without God you have no basis for declaring this evil, or that evil. So I suppose one could say evil in of itself is evidence for God."

Here are 3 links to Dr. Craig giving a lecture on this topic, and how to refute it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPqSrnR6VtI Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-upGMJr161o&feature=related Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luTd7zThdPw&feature=related Part 3

If you really want to get a handle on these arguments, for yourself - read C.S. Lewis - The Problem of Pain.

Halcyon, thanks for bringing up this article. I think it's important to glance over things like this every once in a while... Not because his arguments are good, but because you get a real sense of the pain and hurt that's behind them... God's madly in love with this frustrated young man.

You're totally right not to get involved with debating him. That would be a useless activity. He doesn't need argument, he needs to encounter love from a Christian, and you can't do that over the internet.

Reading his overly simplistic arguments, it struck me as a cautionary tale... Sometimes we do the same: take things out of context, simplify things to the point of uselessness; make broad assumptions in pursuit of our argument. We, as Christians, need to hold each other to high standards of intellectual honesty.

Certainly the hostile knucklehead who told the writer "he couldn’t point out a single flaw in god for HE IS PERFCET" was doing a massive disservice to our faith. Let us all be ever vigilant not to be such a knucklehead ourselves.

Back