November 5, 2007 - God's Word is at Work

Durruck

Pirate!
God’s Word is at work
By Jon Walker

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
(Hebrews 4:12-13 NIV)

--- --- --- --- ---

A centurion once asked Jesus to heal his servant, but instead of taking Jesus back to his house, the Roman officer said, “Just say the word, and my servant will be healed.” Jesus was astonished at his faith and said, “Go! It will be done just as you believed it would.” (Matthew 8:5-13 NIV)

Clearly, this event teaches us about faith, but I want to point out another truth: Jesus just says the word, and the servant is healed.

Jesus’ word is living and active, capable of healing someone when he simply says, “Make it so.” In the same way, God speaks and today his word is alive and at work all over the world. It’s “sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12 NIV)

God’s Word is more than text on a page; it contains a living power – the mind of God guiding and transforming our lives. In Jesus, God’s Word became flesh, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14 NIV)

You can access this living power, this double-edged sword, by studying God’s Word, applying God’s Word, and praying God’s Word. His Word can slice through false motives, confusion, ungodly attitudes, and mind-boggling frustrations.

What now?

· Personal, not passive – If God’s Word is active, that also means it is not passive. Pretty obvious, right? But the point is, it’s not passive in your life. God’s Word is at work within you and around you. Where do you see God’s Word at work in your life? What Scripture has really stayed with you? How do you see it working within you?

· Offensive and defensive – God’s Word is both an offensive and defensive weapon. You can use his Word to attack an attitude in yourself or defend yourself from temptation.

· Irresistible – The ancient Hebrews believed that a word, once spoken, was alive, which is why the blessing that belonged to Esau couldn’t be taken back after it was given, under false pretenses, to Jacob. God’s Word has been active for centuries and will continue to work until Kingdom come, when we’ll meet God’s Word face-to-face.

· Pray the Scripture – Pray the Scripture for yourself and others. For instance, James 4:7-8a says: “So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he'll be there in no time.” (MSG) Your prayer: “Father, I know your Word is at work in me, and I want you to work your will in me. Help me to get out of your way and let you do your work. I will yell a loud ‘No!’ to the devil and watch him scamper. I say a quiet ‘Yes’ to you. I believe in faith that you are here, and that you hear me every time I cry out to you. Lord, I believe; help my unbelief.”

© 2007 Jon Walker. All rights reserved.

Back