No plans for kids?  no marriage

Generally, when I've heard someone refer to Onanism, it was being used as a way to condemn self-gratification, a topic I won't go into here without the mods' permission.

The world is quite populated, isn't it? It only seems prudent to, shall I say, take it easy. A couple of kids will be just fine with me, thanks. Eight or more...okay, there's a problem here.

not to mention the enormous financial costs of raising 8 kids... if you want them to go to college or whatever. Some manage to do it, but 18-20 years from now... it'll be hard (nothing's too hard for God thoguh, so if he helps you, your'e good to go).

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. So THAT'S what it means Slam. Okay.
I don't think the local dioceses will make you cram 8 screaming kids into your apartment, though.

Definition of onanism

it can mean that, but it also means (and it's original meaning was) what Onan did to garner God's wrath.

ya know, this topic has strayed quite far. who's thinks maybe we should close it?

Close a topic? On CGA? I've never heard of such a thing! I would love to see that happen...but I thought we were on the relative basis...Catholics cancel marriages if no plans for kids, why, etc., what about this and that and we came up on that one dude and whatnot.

yeah, well, we're starting to devolve into conversations on onanism and.....self-gratification...

Has nothing to do with marriage and children.

Well, it does to a degree, I mean, at some point, you have to talk to your kids about these things. Mere technicality though.

Whoa...okay, didn't know that was the dictionary definition. Technically though, that wasn't what Onan did. Definition 2: Coitus interruptus. That applies. But the incident hardly involved any...erhm...cough.

I look forward to the education you'll give YOUR kids Slam. Heheh.
WEll....technically it had to do with both definitions...in a way. You can obscure part of it and be left with either definition or look at it differently and be left with both. In a way he did do both at the same time. Think of it: he gets to his moment and then quits. Stops. Why? So he could keep this up without taking responsibility. Well, God knew his heart and wasted him for such actions.

And we were kinda related to marriage and kids when we got off on this bent.

Rules rules rules

I think i heard jesus say something about stupid rules...

the article is embarrassing.

sex was made for relationship. A family is two people who are married. Children are an addition to a family.

sealcomm

Well, I guess there is not a single Catholic here. With Catholics, we are asked if we will accept children if God so wills it. It is not absolutely necessary for there to be children for the marriage to be valid, but we must at least be willing to accept children. Anyway, I understand that many of you will disagree with some Catholic doctrine, and even I disagree with some of it. But I am glad that my Church will at least bend on some things and modify it's teachings and beliefs when new evidence comes along that refutes something that may have been written in the Bible (evolution or the age of the earth for example) instead of just blindly believing every single word that is written in the Bible and interpreting it as being the absolute truth.

Well, you can call it "blindly following", but there's something that's called "faith" which doesn't require tangible evidence. God tells me the Bible is true, and I have a tendency to believe Him. Hard to do sometimes... I'm not a super Bible scholar, and can't interpret everything... I'm not sure anyone can interpret everything in there, some of it is just too "higher level" for our earthly minds to comprehend. Such as: Eternity.

EEP! EEP! sorry for getting off topic... Now. What do I think about no kids, no marriage? I think couples should be still allowed to marry, after all, they may change their minds later...

Back