New router

Talon

Ok, my family has decided to get rid of our Linksys WRT54G wireless router because it doesnt cooperate and drops computers off the network at random. All of us are tired of having to restart our computer when web surfing.

Which router should we get?

This one?

WGT624

A dlink, netgear, suggestions?

Keep in mind i need these things on it and working;
DHCP Dynamic IP routing from ISP
Gateway Static IP routing for LAN and wireless
Static IP routing for Server
Port forwarding for game servers (at least 20 fields+ is a must)
Dyndns.org for domain name (DDNS)
108mbit super G wireless
Built in QOS (at least 15 fields+ is a must) At least upload QOS, download QOS would be a huge bonus.
Some sort of Firewall for filtering of NAT and proxy, along with active X, cookies and java applets. VPN passthrough is needed.
128 bit WEP and WPA for future upgradability.
Windows and Linux compatable is a 100% MUST.

Compatable with motorola 5120 sufboard modem, and capable of internet speeds and intensive and regular network usage to my Linux File server.

I will have 6 computers on this router.

3 Laptops (2 are 54g, 1 is 125mbit speed boost capable)
3 desktops (2 desktops on 10/100 CAT6 LAN cables, and 1 Server desktop on 10/100 CAT6 LAN cable that is linux)

GigaLan wireless routers are few and expensive, so that is out of the question, only 1 laptop and desktop are GigLan capable for now.

Money is not really an issue here. We are willing to spend about $100 on a good router that will last. Cheaper would definently be nice, we do rebates also.

Any suggestions will be helpful :)

Talon

Last edited:
After chatting online with tech support, i'm going new router. They had me chasing the firmware tail on it.

Tech: Lets try to unplugged the power of the router for 30 seconds.
Micah: I did that, i'll just go buy a Netgear router and be done with it

Grrr, makes me so agrivated. Do this firmware, flash it, wait 30 seconds (i did that 2 times!!!!). I did file a complaint against linksys with thier customer reviews and I will not be buying linksys again.

On the little servey, i checked i knew what i was doing with networking and that i will never buy linksys again.

Last edited:
Back