May 13th, 2005

.se3ker.

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

-Psalm 42:5 (NIV)

DIAMONDS, rubies, pearls, and gold are among many precious treasures in this world. Yet attaining treasure is usually not easy. Consider the creation of a pearl. An oyster begins the process that creates a pearl out of necessity, producing a secretion to isolate and soothe an irritation. The layers of secretion around the irritating grain of sand eventually form a beautiful pearl that people cherish.

I see a parallel between this process and the life of Jesus. Jesus was born to a poor family. His people were persecuted and ruled by a foreign government. He had no formal education; nor was he rich. Though innocent of sin himself, he took up the sorrows and sins of this world, dying on the cross so that we could have eternal life. Through his suffering and agony, Jesus became our source of salvation.

As those who make a decision to follow Jesus, we do not have to give up in difficult times. We can face adversity as an opportunity to create something valuable, even beautiful. This is the power of godliness.

Sundo Kim (Seoul, Korea)
Prayer:
Living God, thank you for giving us strength to face our problems and resolve to overcome them. Amen.

Back