May 10th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
That the World May Know

We are ambassadors for Christ, since God is making his appeal through us; we entreat you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.

-2 Corinthians 5:20 (NRSV)

ON a recent visit to the Black Forest in southern Germany, I was able to see clearly the nearby countryside from the top of a sightseeing tower. But the farther into the distance that I looked, the more my surroundings appeared unclear. I realized that for many people God is like this, located at a far distance, a place that they are not able to reach. But the Bible tells us that as children of God we are the means by which God is made visible in the world. We are "a letter of Christ," (2 Cor. 3:3) "to be known and read by all" (verse 2). But how can we "be known and read by all"?

One way is by making ourselves available to those around us -- even strangers. For instance, in countries like mine where picking up hitchhikers is commonplace and relatively safe, I have made it a habit to talk with every hitchhiker I pick up about Jesus Christ. One such young man invited me for a cup of tea in his home, and we continued our conversation about Jesus for the next two hours. Another time, I talked with a fellow diner at a fast-food restaurant. When I told him that I am a clergyman, his face lit up and he said, "Then God is present." Even if not everyone will listen to us, we can try to reach out. How else will they ever come to know God?

Reiner Dauner (Lichtenstein, Germany)

Thank you, Jesus, that we are your ambassadors and are privileged to appeal to others to be reconciled to God. Amen.

Back