Matt 24:37-44: Not the End of the World

Krissa Lox

Matthew 24:37-44

But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

If there is one thing we can safely say about the events of 2020, it's that this has been nothing like the subtlety of a thief in the night, but more like barbarian raiders loudly kicking down doors and making an obvious ruckus while rummaging through our stuff. And I don't think there's anybody going obliviously about their own business right now either. So while it may not be given to us to know when the time of the Lord will be, I think we can confidently assess from Jesus' words here that this is not it.

Maybe this is one of the other times mentioned of strange events that will lead up to the end, or maybe just a turbulent episode in history that God deems necessary to achieve His purposes, in which our place is simply to submit to His will and navigate through with His guidance. After all, many of the blessings we have today came as a result of sacrifices made and endured by preceding generations, so it's not an unfair expectation if we are asked to make some sacrifices as well for the benefit of our descendants in faith.

Not the greatest pep talk, I know - I can't even imagine how hard it would be for people trying to maintain their spiritual composure in the face of even greater atrocities, like being thrown to lions, etc, but yet somehow they did. But we are given assurance that any loss we might suffer here for the cause of Christ, though painful, will not be in vain and will be honored in the world to come.

Back