March 7, 2007 - The mission is you

Genesis1315

Ladies
The mission is you
By John Fischer

“Christ in you, the hope of glory.” (Colossians 1:27)

You have a mission in life and this is it: you. Your mission is not only your story, though that is part of it, it is you, because Christ is in you. You were made to be a vessel to carry him and reflect him through your personality as he lives his life through yours. You are the temple, the dwelling place of the most high. You are a carrier of Christ; he lives again in you. Jesus died, rose again, and went to heaven in his new body, but he lives on through his Spirit in us. You could say he never really left; he just took up residence in us.

The Bible calls you lots of things, but they all underline this point. You are a fragrance of Christ wherever you go (2 Corinthians 2:17). You are a letter known and read by everyone (2 Corinthians 3:1-2). You are a vessel carrying around a treasure – “the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.” (2 Corinthians 4:6-7) And all of us together form the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12). All this to say that you and I are God's greatest statement. It's why he made us.

Wait a minute. “Doesn't that put a lot of pressure on me?” you ask. “How can I possibly be the equivalent of Christ walking around on earth? How can I do justice to this task?” Here's the deal. You aren't Christ all by yourself. We together form the Body of Christ. All of us. Each one with a gift; each one needing the others to show the full character of Jesus.

And we aren't perfect, either; we are in process. And this is OK. Your slip-ups and failures and sins don't negate the presence of Christ in your life. They show why you have him – why you need him. He is still perfectly capable of being all these things in us, in spite of us.

The process, in fact, is the story we tell. Your life makes up the pages on which the story of Christ's redemption of you is told. It's a story in process. If we were complete and perfect, we wouldn't have much to tell and no one could relate to us. As it is, we can tell new parts of the story every day as those around us witness the story unfolding.

All of this means that you are the evidence of the reality of Christ to the world, because God has a mission, and the mission is you.

The above content is provided in its entirety from purposedrivenlife.com and used with the full permission of the website. Additional archives of the Purpose Driven Life devotionals can be found in their archive.

Back