Lightwell - FAQ

Avesther

The priest in my group just said, lightwell is up. What is a lightwell?
Lightwell can be best described as an alternative yet similar to a bandage dispenser. When you need a heal and don't suspect you will get one, you can go to the lightwell, right click on it and get a heal over time.

Hey thats cool. How long does it last?
The lightwell stays up for three minutes or 5 charges. Once three minutes is up or the 5th charge is used, it disappears.

When it disappears, can a priest put another one up?
Not right away. Lightwell is on a 6 minute cooldown timer. Once it is up, they can't put another one up for 6 minutes.

I just clicked on it and nothing happened. What should I do?
You have to be smart about using the lightwell and analyse what happened when you used it. First, it is a heal over time and the first tick doesn't happen until a full two seconds after you use it. So look for a buff that indicates that you are under the lightwells affect. Secondly, the heal itself is like a bandage in that it breaks on damage. So don't use it in the middle of an AOE damage affect or while you have a DOT debuff on you.

A strategic priest will place the lightwell out of line of sight of any AoE damage affects to help minimize that risk.

It seems priests put these up so they don't have to heal DPS. Thats abit unfair, they should be healing me, thats their job, not me worring about this lightwell thing.
You are correct nearly on every point. Priests and other healers, are fully aware of your health bar, your mana bar, where everybody is during the fight, who has what debuff so they can cleanse, who has and who hasn't bandaged, plus they keep tabs on their own health and mana. Taking care of yourself a bit here and there takes alot of strain of your healers.

The lightwell talent is very deep in the holy tree. Often to get it, priests have to sacrifice either additional mana (via mental strength) or mana regen (via divine spirit). The lightwell represents upto 5 heals costing between 550 and 700 mana each or an average of 3125 mana when its used properly. Considering you need the priests mana to last as long as the fight to gaurantee success, relieving 1/3 of their mana is considered a very good thing.

Can I use lightwell and bandage at the same time?
Yes you can! This can generate for you alot of healing in 8 seconds, especially if you have a renew and\or a rejuv on you. Plus, taking the time out to properly use a lightwell and bandage will help reduce your position on the threat list of the boss or mobs you are fighting. Again, further reducing stress on healers.

I'm a pally, shaman or a druid healer, and the priest in the group put up a lightwell, what should I do?
Unless absolutely necessary, don't directly heal somebody using the lightwell. If you have a HOT, use it on them to make Heal over times more effective on them. Directly healing somebody using a lightwell reduces the lightwells effectiveness and wastes your mana.

I see some forums refer to something as LOLwell, what is that?
They are refering to a lightwell. In the priest community, lightwell is commonly referred to LOLwell because the limitations on it are laughable. The healing it does is set and is not affect by +healing, it takes 6 seconds to take full affect, it heals less then a bandage, its cooldown timer is insanly high, there is no way to tell how many charges are left, you can abuse lightwell by right clicking on it 5 times in 3 seconds to use up all the charges, it breaks on damage.

Seeing as you put up these FAQs for lightwell, are you (Avesther) planning on speccing into it?
I intend to spec Avesther 20 disc \ 41 holy picking up both lightwell and circle of healing. I'll be giving up a ton of DPS so solo grinding and quest grinding will become non-existant. This isn't a problem seeing as Avesther seems to have completed every solo-able quest in the game. Bannard will become her farmer.

I hate the lightwell:p seems like people always click it and use it up in 1/100th of a second and it never gets used as intended. Lara specced into it twice and the only time it was ever useful was in MC and even then it was clicked to death usually in the first person to try it

Thanks GP.

I always thought the idea of a lightwell was very interesting. It would be great of Blizzard could change the way it works a bit.

It would be nice if you used it two things happened:

1. You were hit with a debuff like bandaging so that you can't use the lightwell again for 10 seconds.
2. It didn't break on damage.

Given the long cooldown times and limited number of charges, adding these two features to lightwell would not make it overpowered. But, its blizzards game and they don't have to listen to this idea, which is what the entire priest community wants on lightwell.

I pushed the new spec hard today in Shattered halls. I tell you, I can feel the amputated legs of divine spirit \ Imp Divine spirit and mental strength (mana increased by 10%) still twitching where they should be.

I did use circle of healing a lot, nearly 255,000 in healing done by circle of healing, while my renew was 350,000. Both of them together was slightly more then the amount healed via greater heal at 550,000 healed.

I'm still not confident with lightwell. Its drawbacks cause me to be hesitant in just dropping it every 6 minutes. But for maximum benefit, I think it needs to be dropped every 6 minutes.

Please continue to post here regarding your experiments.

One issue with Lightwell is that even in the group I used to run stuff with all the time, made up of very good players, it was far too easy to double click on it and use up 2 out of the 3 charges.

I think I see what blizzard is trying to do with Lightwell and Circle of Healing, they are just very poorly implemented and to give up Divine Spirit for Circle of Healing still seems too big a loss as things stand.

I agree, like I mentioned, I still feel the twitch in my toolbelt where Divine Spirit and Improved Divine Spirit used to sit. I've been playing priest for coming up 2 years now as a main. And I really want to be able to give blizzard what ends up being a very thorough, as non-opinionated as possible feedback of this class. The best way to do it is to experience as much of the class as possible, even taking the talents that just don't cut it.

I do want priests to be better, they do feel unfinished and without direction, especially for those that spec for healing. For example, priests have to spec into two trees what every other healing class specs into one tree for. Silent resolves threat reduction does not affect shadow any more, why not create a holy threat reducer and slap that into the holy tree.

Why are there survivability talents in both holy and disc and so deep into those two trees that you can't possibly take them all (ie...blessed resiliance and pain supression)? I suspect in their current forms, having them both would make a priest nie impossible to kill. So why not put them all in one tree and dum them down a bit.

At least the three trees would form direction for the class. Want to survive in PvP and arenas, 41 points in discipline will do it. Healing, 41 in holy and nobody in your group will die. Want to do damage, 41 in shadow and every mob will go down.

I did some 3v3 arena on the PTR with 41 points in disc for pain suppression and I force a draw everytime the rogue tried to take me down. That rogue was all over me like ants to a picnic and he could not take me down. I couldn't do anything but heal myself, I forced a draw. I did PvP with 38 in holy for blessed resiliance, and again, I went a long time before dieing because I was nie uncrittable. Again, I couldn't do anything but tank rogues and warriors, forcing draws. Anyway, enough rambling.

Back