LF Advice on Crafting

Ryooshi

So I think I'm beating my head against a brick wall here. Here's my dilemma:

I'm trying to level crafting classes outside of the local leves, yet when I put together the materials, such as Moko Grass for Hempen Yarn from Weaver, I get the error message saying "You cannot make anything with those materials." I have the crystals and shards needed for most recipes I'm looking up on ZAM, but I don't understand why I can't synthesize anything.

I understand I need some training books from various guilds, but they require Guild Marks. I've yet to receive any Marks from my leves.

I see tons of people running around in crafted gear, as well as crafting certain recipes and selling their crafted items. So what's their trick to crafting outside of leves?

I guess what I'm asking is fourfold:
1) Why can't I craft Rank 1 recipes?

2) How do I obtain Guild Marks for training books? (And is it possible in the end to buy all of them, or do I pick and choose?)

3) How is everyone crafting outside of leves?

4) What order is best when trying to level my crafting classes? I assume Leatherworker, Weaver, Carpenter, and Alchemist for the base materials for Blacksmith, Goldsmith, and Armorer. Culinarian must be separate from the others? Obviously, Miner, Fisher, and Botanist are needed for the first raw materials, then LTW, WVR, CRP, ALC, and then BSM, GSM, ARM?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I see tons of people running around in crafted gear, as well as crafting certain recipes and selling their crafted items. So what's their trick to crafting outside of leves?

I guess what I'm asking is fourfold:
1) Why can't I craft Rank 1 recipes?

First, to be able to craft an item it seems like you need to have "discovered" the recipe, primarly through a completed LL.

I have done a ton of LL:s, and been able to craft most stuff i wanted. One time though it did not let me craft a wanted item. I presume it is because i have not "discovered" that recipe yet.

Moko grass: At low lvl weaver i could craft Hempen yarn from Moko grass without problem, but then I got that recipe from a LL.

2) How do I obtain Guild Marks for training books? (And is it possible in the end to buy all of them, or do I pick and choose?)

2) Getting guild marks is solved by getting to lvl 20 and doing guild quest. No idea if it will be possible to get all books (Still not there myself, walking around lvling all classes and enjoying the game world too much :)

3) How is everyone crafting outside of leves?

3) The usual way. Decide on a recipe, bunch up on materials (well, shards mostly) and craft away. Weaver I lvled mainly on moko grass. Carpenter mostly on Maple Logs to Lumber (and some planks) etc.
Then when getting a decent lvl, I go for an item I really want to craft, get mats, go to guild and buy access to guild workshop pray a little and take my best shot at it.
And also, getting rank 10 in any crafting profession unlock a special ability that help crafting. My favourite ones are from blacksmith (improved chance to succeed with Standard synth) and carpenter (less hit to durability)

4) What order is best when trying to level my crafting classes? I assume Leatherworker, Weaver, Carpenter, and Alchemist for the base materials for Blacksmith, Goldsmith, and Armorer. Culinarian must be separate from the others? Obviously, Miner, Fisher, and Botanist are needed for the first raw materials, then LTW, WVR, CRP, ALC, and then BSM, GSM, ARM?

Any advice would be appreciated.

4) Sounds like an workable plan. My way was

BTN + MNR + CRP + WVR
then
BLS + GLD + ARM + ALC + LTW

havent touched fisherman, culinarian yet.

Especially CRP, WVR, BLS are good for your own repairs. (Well toss in some LTW also)

(Did I mention I have a huge problem with storage space for all the professions? ;)

Back to the problem though... not being able to rank up weaver on moko grass is a bummer, thats THE recipe to use in the beginning. Maybe that straw belt? Or try put four moko grass and see if it let you make those bowstrings (though expensive in shards)
Another alternative is that I make undyed hempen cloth for you so you can make hempen fent (dont have a lot of wind shards so cant make a lot of those though)

Last edited:
1) Check the recipe online and make sure you have the right mats. You do not need to do LL to discover anything. I have only done armor and blacksmith LL and you can see my crafts. Just double check your stuff. If you cant make something because you are too low it will tell you. Also LL are grate ways to level your craft since they cost you nothing for skill points, but you don't need them to learn any recipe that you cannot find online.

2)That I am not sure of yet maybe you have to be 20 in the craft to start doing job quests at that guild to get marks. I know when i hit 15 on my Mur I was able to do level 20 RL and they sometime give marks for DoW jobs.

3)Look up the recipe online and see what is going to be the cheapest route and spam them. it will be dull as all get out but that is the game. I did sheepskin vamps from 10-16 that was a beating and still have more to do but I made 10k gil per stack so that was cool. Armor i have been spaming bronze buckles since i believe 14 and it will take me to 20 i believe. really dull but it is consistant.

4)What i would do I oick a DoW class you want to take to max level first then you can see what will be the best for armor and weapon. Realistly you will need to level all to probably 25 at some point to 1) repair your own stuff and 2) your will probably need the sub craft for the main craft(s) you want. Crafting too interconnected to only pick one. you will have to do them all at some point to some level.

I am going right now to take Mur as my main so I am going arm bsm as mains but i will take all crafts to 25 at some point because I know i will need them. Also the NPC is a ripoff repairing stuff to 75% on gear. Best to repair yourself to 100% with your own mats. This allows you to do this anywhere.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Another thing. Make sure you are actually actually weaver for your job. I know it sounds dumb, but just check and make sure. I know I have done it before >.>; If it is still giving you problems log out and log back in. maybe something is jacked up.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions and input. I just wish there was an in-game recipe list of what I've learned to make.

Back