Lessons from Katrina

Genesis1315

Ladies
A week has now passed since Katrina hit the Southern US. A lot of speculation and lessons have since occured. So my question...What have you learned out of this devastating event and how will you use it and apply it to your Christian walk? Please feel free to ask questions on the different lessons to clarify what has been taught.

Gen

The lesson confirmed for me is that there is nothing more important than sharing the only way for men to be saved and that by Salvation through Jesus Christ. I beg for boldness to share with all who want to hear that God sent His only Son to die for them to pay their sin debt in full, and that it took Love for us that we can never fully understand this side of Heaven. I pray for a hunger to see all men saved. Second only to that is to show love for others to a world that is truly hungry in their very soul for God's Love to shine in their hearts and to know that they are loved and someone really, truly cares about them. Oh that God will give me a love like His to each person that He sends my way.

I would like to share this song with you, taken from this site:

http://www.christianlyricsonline.com/artists/ray-boltz/people-need-the-lord.html

People Need The Lord
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Everyday they pass me by,
I can see it in their eye;
Empty people filled with care,
Headed who knows where.
On they go through private pain,
Living fear to fear;
Laughter hides the silent cries
Only Jesus hears.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]People need the Lord,
People need the Lord;
At the end of broken dreams,
He's the open door.
[/font]

People need the Lord;
When will we realize
People need the Lord.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We are called to take His light
To a world where wrong is right;
What could be too great a cost
For sharing life with one who's lost?
Through His love our hearts can feel
All the grief they bear;
They must hear the Words of Life
Only we can share.
[/font]

People need the Lord;
At the end of broken dreams,
He's the open door.
[/font]

People need the Lord;
When will we realize
That we must give our lives,
For people need the Lord.
People need the Lord.
[/font]

Last edited:
Lessons learned by me:

1. State resources are too local and too small to be of use immediately and Federal resources take too long to mobilise.
2. There must be clean lines of communication in the chain of command.
3. The rioting and the trouble stopped DEAD with the arrival of the Marines. Marines save more lives than any amount of press conferences and human rights observers.
4. The plight of a city falls harshest on its poor inhabitants.
5. At local, state and national level politicians started saving face on day 1 and saving lives on about day 5. This is unacceptable.
6. Building a city 18 feet below sea level is not smart. Especially if you don't spend the money on flood prevention.
7. The first places that get looted are gunstores. The second are liquor stores. Then public order collapses. The police are the only thing that stands between that happening EVERY DAY of our lives. Support them in their work.
8. Quis custodes ipsos custodient - when the police start looting it is too late to declare a state of emergency. Skip straight to martial law.

errr eon.... that last one was a bit harsh. but im glad to kow ur implementing the things that
apply it to your Christian walk
;) anyways

1. the end is coming

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. Revelation 22:20

I have learned two things during this time

1. only be dependant upon God
2. send prayers and encouragement

Psalms 10
16 The Lord is King forever and ever; the nations will perish from His land.
17 Lord, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will strengthen their hearts.
You will listen carefully,
18 doing justice for the fatherless and the oppressed, so that men of the earth may terrify [them] no more.

It's not something new I've learned, but something that's been re-enforced I guess...

People can look at what happened in New Orleans, and see it as a sign of God's "judgement" and cluck their tongues...or they can look at it and see an opportunity for Christians to show God's love and lend a helping hand. Only one of these attitudes is productive.

I learned that Hurricanes can be particularly destructive if a densly populated city lies right in its path.

I learned there will always be squabbling.

I learned that some people will take advantage of the bad circumstances of others.

I learned that Canadian non-Government agencies were the first on site after the hurricane to provide relief efforts, while the US national gaurd and FEMA were arguing whether it could be done. Friends are friends in need!!!

Back