Lee strobel...

Saxamaphone

I just finished reading Less Strobel's The Case for Christ. And now I am starting his The Case for Faith. I have not had so much fun reading a book since, well, actually, I have had alot of fun ready lots of good books.

Anyway, anybody else ever read his books?

I want to also pick up some of the books that the interviewed had written. Although I thought the book sufficiently left all skeptics in the dust, I just want to find out more about what these experts had to write and say.

Speaking of books, I just picked up Michael J. Behe's book "Darwin's Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution." I can hardly wait to delve into this book. I hear that Behe is not a Christian, so this will be a good book in that people can not argue that he has been biased or tainted, by a Christian ideology. My understanding also about this book, is that all his claims remain completely unchallenged by evolutionists, darwinists and the scientific community. I think this book just might show how dinosaurs evolving into birds is really just a bunch of hogwash. If anybody has read this book, I'd like to get some thoughts.

Anyway, of to one of my favorite past times: Reading.

We have 'Case for Faith', but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. We are just about to start 'Case for Christ' in our small group.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SSquared @ Jan. 26 2003,10:38)]We have 'Case for Faith', but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.  We are just about to start 'Case for Christ' in our small group.
I think you are really going to enjoy The Case for Christ. It really added support and creedence to what I already knew with faith. The chapter on what it was like to be floged by a Roman soldier and then hung on a cross is graphic and leaves no doubt as to the fact that Jesus did indeed die on the cross and that there is no way he faked it!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MaxX @ Jan. 26 2003,1:10)]I'm reading Mere Christianity by CS Lewis.
I am about 1/2 the way through that book. He is a very eloquant writer and defender of Christianity. Another very good book in my collection!!!

Read it. (Case for Christ completely, Case for Faith skimmed.. or maybe it was the other way around.) Wasn't convinced.

Maybe it's better at reinforcing Christian's Beliefs than converting people.

You guys ever read books that DONT just reinforce what you already believe? Just curious because there are lots of good ones out there, some good ones I can think of are:
<u>Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist
</u>by Dan Barker.
<u>Atheism: The Case Against God
</u>by George H. Smith

why? that's what you guys do.
smile.gif
nothing wrong with that. Defending my faith here has helped me grow in it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think you are really going to enjoy The Case for Christ.

Whoops! It turns out I said the complete opposite. I have Case for Christ but our small group is doing Case for Faith. Oh well. Sounds like you liked both of them, eh?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MeanMrMustard @ Jan. 26 2003,6:56)]You guys ever read books that DONT just reinforce what you already believe? Just curious because there are lots of good ones out there, some good ones I can think of are:
<u>Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist
</u>by Dan Barker.
<u>Atheism: The Case Against God
</u>by George H. Smith
I've actually heard of these books. What I've heard so far is that the arguements in them have been defunked and laid waste. Only people looking for pipe dreams read them. Especially that Atheism: The Case Against God.

So, I suppose I could read them, strictly for entertainment. But why would I want to waste my time with something somebody has already successfully argued against since their writtings?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kohael &lt;PC&gt; @ Jan. 26 2003,4:18)]Read it. (Case for Christ completely, Case for Faith skimmed.. or maybe it was the other way around.) Wasn't convinced.

Maybe it's better at reinforcing Christian's Beliefs than converting people.
At least your honest. I've skimmed over my texts for a few of my classes. I didn't beleive the ideology behind those psyc classes. Oh well, even though I didn't beleive it, I was still tested on it and failed the courses.

I wonder, are we any different?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've actually heard of these books. What I've heard so far is that the arguements in them have been defunked and laid waste. Only people looking for pipe dreams read them. Especially that Atheism: The Case Against God.
How convenient, I've read the same thing about your book being defuct as well though. Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you would dismiss it without even reading it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MeanMrMustard @ Jan. 26 2003,11:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've actually heard of these books.  What I've heard so far is that the arguements in them have been defunked and laid waste.  Only people looking for pipe dreams read them.  Especially that Atheism: The Case Against God.
How convenient, I've read the same thing about your book being defuct as well though. Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you would dismiss it without even reading it.
Can somebody with some intellegence please explain where in my post I dismissed reading his books?

I mean, I said I suppose I could, for entertainment. I also asked why I should read it if it has been successfully argued against from what I have heard?

MeanMrMustard, instead of answering the question posed, or at least trying to take up the challange, you jumped to the wrong conclusion. I have no idea how you manage to do this.

What could I possibly learn from these books, that I have not already struggled with and come to my own conclusions over? Is there something new in these books that have not been answered anywhere else? That has not been brought up any where else? Is there anything new that has not been challenged?

I remember now.. Case for Faith was a gift from a friend which I read completely.. Case for Jesus was a book a friend of mine was carrying in Math class one day, and I skimmed through.

I still have Case for Faith, probably kicked under a bed or couch somewhere because I haven't seen it in ages.

Regardless, my one memory of Case for Jesus was the author's extreme lack of skepticism for a person who was supposed to be doing a rational, hard-headed investigation. I can't properly debate this point, as it's been 2 years since I read it, but that was the impression I took away.

I would be interested, in what any book has to say against Jesus death and resurrection. Only to find out, if the arguement has changed at all since the Pharisees came up with the first cope out.

So, is anybody willing to throw into the debate circle what these authors of these other books have to say about it? (You don't have to copy the whole chapter(s), just a few points.)

hey Saxamaphone,

case for christ, faith, mere christianity, more than a carpenter, evidence that demands a verdict are all great books and i'm glad you brought them up.
please keep in mind that our goal here is to encourage ppl, not to kick them away.
i've seen quite a few of MeanMrMustard's posts and he does show a lot of intelligence. if you look at his last post again, you'll see his approach is very calm and concise, you can't expect more from someone with a different point of view. even if he misunderstood or misread your post, the best thing to do also is to return the favor (be calm and concise)
thanks and Lord bless.

Ah, CS Lewis. How I love thee. God in the Dock, Abolition of Man, Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, The Chronicles of Narnia.....so many good apologetics, so little time!
AND btw Mustard: why would Christians read books that would diminish their faith? Atheists may read them to improve their faith in atheism. Christians read Christian apologetics to improve their own.

Back