June 9, 2005

.se3ker.

Train children in the right way, and when old, they will not stray.

-Proverbs 22:6 (NRSV

ONE rainy day after leaving work I went to my mother's house with all the symptoms of a terrible cold. I lay down on the bed for a few moments and closed my eyes. After a few minutes, I sensed someone's presence nearby. It was my four-year-old nephew. He looked very concerned. In his hands he held a small tube of ointment. He said, "Don't worry, Auntie. With a little bit of this and a prayer to Papa God, you're going to be just fine. You'll be smiling soon."

His words moved me. Even at his tender age he understood that God can heal us. The lessons of scripture that I had taught him were reflected in his words of concern for me. The small seed of my nurturing was bearing fruit. When he starts Sunday school, the teachers will continue to undergird and expand on his earlier instruction. They will provide more tools to help him stay on the path that leads to a mature faith in Jesus Christ.

Wanda E. Delgado Castrillo (Juncos, Puerto Rico)
Prayer:
Thank you, God, for the Bible and its truths. Help us to teach others the greatness of your love and power. Amen
.seek.

Back