June 19th,2005

RED

The Real Destination

Read Jeremiah 29:10-14

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
-Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

AS my eight-year-old daughter Jessica and I hiked closer to the summit of Mt. Shortoff, I found myself caught between engaging in conversation with her and reflecting on the many times I had come here looking for a quiet place of meditation. Caught up in my own thoughts about my job search and finding God's purpose for my work, I found it hard to focus on my daughter's questions.

Jessica's excitement grew as we caught glimpses of breathtaking scenes through the trees. I reflected on her questions about how much longer it would be before we got to our destination. What was our destination, anyway? Was it one particular favorite overlook, or was the hike itself our destination?
When we reached a favorite overlook, I noticed familiar pine trees that grew in the cracks of the rocks. As I thought about the struggles and storms those trees had endured, I understood better my own struggles. My hope and future are not necessarily all bundled in my work. My true destination is enjoying the daily gift of family, friends, and the blessings that God provides. I want to take time always to fully acknowledge them.
Bruce W. Bunce (North Carolina, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Thank you, God, for keeping us firmly grounded and for opening our eyes to the blessings around us daily. Amen.

Back