June 10th, 2005

.se3ker.

O LORD, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.

-Psalm 8:1 (KJV)

I travel by plane almost every week, but I never grow tired of looking out the window of the airplane. Since most of my flights are to and from the same cities, the landscape I see is not unfamiliar. But sunrises and sunsets are never the same, particularly when viewed from the air, above the clouds.

As I think about clouds and how different they look from the air, it occurs to me that I am not physically designed to see clouds from above. I am able to because, through the achievements of modern aviation, I can go where I was not intended to go and see the earth from a different perspective, more like God's perspective.

Now I realize that when I fight my daily battles on earth and cannot see past them or deal with them effectively, I can step back and try to look at my life from God's perspective. Then the situation looks different -- sometimes as different as clouds look from above. God knows the overall scheme of things. From God's perspective, the particular battle I am fighting may not be so big after all.

M. Ted Haynes (Texas, U.S.A.)
Prayer:
Dear God, help us to see life from your perspective. Amen.

.seek.

Back