July 18, 2007 - A Resolution Worth Keeping

Durruck

Pirate!
A Resolution Worth Keeping
By Jon Walker

“For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.” (1 Corinthians 2:2 NIV)

How are you doing with your New Year’s resolutions? You remember – that list you made a little over six months ago with two scoops of optimistic enthusiasm, sprinkled with unrealistic expectations, and topped with the cherry of knowing the list isn’t serious anyway.

One of my friends has started making honest New Year’s lists: “I won’t lose ten pounds this year,” “I commit to watching the Super Bowl this year,” “I’ll listen to my iPod at least four days a week.”

But there is one guy who I suspect played for keeps when he made New Year’s resolutions. You know, the zealot who could never do anything half-way, let’s-get-real-about-our-faith, the impossible Apostle Paul.

I can only imagine that Paul’s New Year’s list consisted of only one item, the one made in 1 Corinthians 2:2, where he resolved to know nothing but Christ and him crucified.

Paul’s message is radically simple: Salvation is in Christ alone.

That means –

· It’s not Christ plus your good behavior.
· It’s not Christ plus the years you taught a Bible study.
· It’s not Christ plus your tithe.
· It’s not Christ plus the church you attend.
· It’s not Christ plus the number of verses you memorize.
· It’s not Christ plus your title in the church.
· It’s not Christ plus wisdom from the latest Christian seminar.
· It’s not Christ plus a desert fast (or even a dessert fast!).
· It’s not Christ plus a good driving record.
· It’s not Christ plus well-behaved children.
· It’s not Christ plus your new shined shoes.
· It’s not Christ plus the right job.
· It’s not Christ plus the right spouse.
· It’s not Christ plus the latest technology.

It’s simply Christ.

Christ plus nothing.

That’s Paul’s message, and it’s a message that is as right throughout this year as it will be in 2999. May your new resolution for the year be nothing but Christ and Him crucified.

So what?

· Simple equation – Jesus plus nothing equals salvation.

· Check your beliefs: Is there something you think you need do or achieve to be fully accepted by God? Are you adding to Scripture, changing it to say, “I resolve to know nothing except Jesus PLUS …?”

· Ask God to guide your math – Pray, asking God to teach you to know nothing but Christ and Him crucified.

© 2007 Jon Walker. All rights reserved.

The above content is provided in its entirety from purposedrivenlife.com and used with the full permission of the website. Additional archives of the Purpose Driven Life devotionals can be found in their archive.

Back