July 15th, 2005

.se3ker.

Jesus said, "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

-Acts 1:8 (NRSV)

ONE busy morning in the clinic, I met a leprosy patient who needed surgery at our hospital over 100 kilometers away. When I told him, he began to cry. He said he often thought of ending his life because of his disease, but still he wanted to live. Immediately, I felt an inner prompting from the Holy Spirit to tell this man how Jesus loves him and came into the world to give him life abundantly. But I knew more than 50 patients were waiting to be seen, so I decided to forego any spiritual discussion. I called him for three days to come in, intending to give him more time and tell him about God's love, but he never returned.

As time passed I often wondered if he was still alive. I asked God to forgive me for not sharing the gospel with him that day, and I pleaded for his life.

A few months later, I traveled to help at the hospital. On Sunday I attended church. While singing the hymn, I looked around. My heart leaped with joy when I saw the leprosy patient in the crowd, singing joyfully. I praised God for saving this man's life.

Pramila Barkataki (Uttar Pradesh, India)
Prayer:
Loving God, today help us respond to the promptings of your Spirit to speak of your love. Amen.

Back