January 2

Wh1te Out

I apologize for being a day late with this post. Until I can establish a routine and/or get another staff member for this effort it may happen again. Please don't let that stop you from reading each day, though.

There were several things in the January 2 reading that caught my eye; things I hadn't noticed before and that posed questions.

1) In Genesis 3:24 it is written, "And He placed a flaming sword that flashed back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life." This is a stunning visual. The reason God put the "trap" there is because if Adam and Eve ate from the tree of life they would live forever (Genesis 3:22). But this confused me because they'd already eaten from the tree of life.

2) God punishes Cain by putting a mark (Genesis 4:15) on him that would warn anyone who might try to kill him. Was Cain the first dark-skinned (or the first light-skinned) person? In other words, was the color of his skin the mark that God put on him?

3) Why did John the Baptist eat locusts? Was there some reason for this? (Matthew 3:4)

Readings for January 2, 2006

I don't have an answer to your first or third question, but I do have an answer to your second question:

2) I know I'm skipping ahead, but in about six chapters God is going to wipe all of Cain's descendants from the face of the earth, so I don't think skin color was the mark, since it had to have developed since the Flood. Besides, the protection only applied to Cain, not his descendants, so I would think that it wouldn't be something that could be inherited.

Back