Jan. 7, 2004

Kidan

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jesus said to him, ’Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip?’
—John 14:9

How many of those people that we call friends do we truly know?  I know hundreds and hundreds of people. Many of those I am on talking terms with, and will speak with whenever I get to see them.  Maybe two or three dozen I speak with on a weekly basis, if not more.  Yet for all those, I truly only know maybe 4 people.  And two of those are my brothers.

It takes a lot of time and effort to truly know someone.  You'll spend years building that type of relationship, and just when you think you got it down perfectly, you realize you've only scratched the surface.  I've known my wife for a little over 6 years, 4 of them we've been married.  And I consider that I know my wife really well.  Yet my wife can still surprise me with things, and most especially with things I did not know.

Now what does this have to do with Christ?  It's simple, we, as Christians, are to have a relationship with Christ.  But what type of relationship do we normally have?  Is it that deep understanding, that comes from knowing someone, loving them, and calling them friend?  Or is it just someone you get to talk to once a week.

The Bible verse that's quoted today is a reference to Christ leaving this world.  He had been physically with the Apostles for so long, that they had reached the end of how well they could know Him.  So He left, and He sent us the comforter, so that He could be with us everyday.  So that we can have the deepest and most trusting relationship possible.  So that we are never without love and acceptance.  Jesus knew that by staying on earth, He would interfere with the relationship between Himself and His disciples, so He fixed it for us.  Now we have the chance to truly know Him. Yet for all this, do we?

Today think about this.  What type of relationship do you have with Christ.

Is He someone you know?
Is He someone you'll talk to IF you run across Him?
Is He someone you talk to just once a week?
Is He someone that you truly know, and try to learn more about daily if not hourly?

It's a choice that WE make on what type of relationship we will have with Christ.  We decide this. We have to ask for the relationship we want, and then we have to strive for it.  It takes work, just like any other, but He will help us if we want this relationship.

We just have to make the decision.

Back