Jan 29th 2005

rizz

Reading
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Isaiah 53:1-6 (NRSV)
Who has believed what we have heard?
And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
For he grew up before him like a young plant,
and like a root out of dry ground;
he had no form or majesty that we should look at him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by others;
a man of suffering and acquainted with infirmity;
and as one from whom others hide their faces
he was despised, and we held him of no account.

Surely he has borne our infirmities
and carried our diseases;
yet we accounted him stricken,
struck down by God, and afflicted.
But he was wounded for our transgressions,
crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the punishment that made us whole,
and by his bruises we are healed.
All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have all turned to our own way,
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

Devotional
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jesus said, "I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."
-John 10:10 (NRSV)

I went to the hospital to visit my terminally ill uncle. There I saw how lovingly the hospital staff treated the patients; and I felt the interaction of love and care among patients, staff, and family members.

In the same way that patients in the hospital require treatment -- medication, love, and care -- to diminish the pains of illness and to regain their health, we look to Christ, the Great Physician, to care for our spiritual needs. Christ can heal us through forgiveness and the assurance of life eternal.

In the midst of illness, pain, uncertainty, and even death, Jesus Christ offers us spiritual wholeness, comfort, love, forgiveness, and lasting peace.

Luciria Aguirre N. (Valle de Cauca, Colombia)

Prayer
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Prayer
Thank you, Lord Jesus Christ, for the gifts of physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being. We bring before you our individual and collective needs as we pray, "Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation: but deliver us from evil."* Amen.

Thought for the Day
Christ offers us tender care and healing.

Prayer Focus

Caregivers of the sick

Back