Is it a sin to play Call Of Duty?

kiro815

Is it if it's not taking much of you time up, does not make you angry, and if it's not bringing anything bad out of you? I've been wondering for 3 months.

"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial". The Apostle Paul made it clear to the Corinthians that eating meat was sin because in that case it was causing a brother to stumble. So eating meat isn't a sin just as video games aren't a sin in and of themselves.

If you feel like doing _______ ("fill in the blank") is causing your brother to stumble or is a sin then it's probable good to take a break.

Can't really say much unless you tell us why you think it's a sin, if it is NOT causing all those things.
Maybe it's a sin cos activision, being the cheaps that they are, used to run sweatshop like conditions, or was that only EA? (citation needed, just hearsay)

i dont think its a sin but my dad is worried about the violence. I know its not right to kill people but its as harmless as paintball to me

If you're under 18 I would respect your father's wishes. If not, I would go with your own personal conviction.

As long as it is not adversely affecting others, this issue falls directly under the teachings of Romans 14.

Romans 14:22-23 said:
So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

If you are convicted that playing these games is sinful, and you play them, then you are sinning. Likewise, if your conviction is that the games are not sinful, then you are not sinning. From a practical perspective, this can often involve concepts such as anger issues, time issues, etc. (which you have stated as not being an issue). This could also involve more abstract issues like what silverleaf mentioned.

This is a somewhat odd concept, so I will use an example. I do not buy video games that have excessive swearing in them. I'm not concerned about the content itself -- I've heard plenty of vulgarity in real life, and I do not believe that hearing more in the video game wouldn't have a negative impact on my character. Rather, I choose not to buy them because I feel it it wrong to financially support the creation of such products. Even so, there can be exceptions -- I have purchased a couple of games when the use of that game for the glory of God outweighed the concerns I had about financially supporting the game. For me, both of these are acceptable because I am convicted that I am acting for the glory of God in both cases.

With that in mind, why are you uncertain about it? If you are not certain about it, then the scripture above would suggest that you ought to abstain from playing. Only once you know that you are acting for the glory of God should you continue.

One thing I would like to be clear about: Romans 14 involves serious personal conviction. You cannot just say "I think this is OK" and be able to do whatever you want. Conviction is more than that -- it involves the understanding of God's word. Conviction combines that understanding with the input of our conscience and the Holy Spirit in order to gain a true sense of what is right -- when you have that, you can act on it.

In other words, if you're looking for obscure Bible verses to justify doing something you want to do for selfish reasons, you're doing it wrong. Instead, justify your actions by the glory of God.

Free call of duty black ops this weekend for those not convicted! Pray first then Steam preload!

FYI Dad can't die for you and Dad can't save you! I wish I could save every kid alive but I can't and that includes my own. God has your heart not anybody else and if he says bot's not cool he plants it deep, if it is his desire for you to do something else. Feel what you do with his heart for it beats true!

If you're under 18 I would respect your father's wishes.
Maybe show him this place if he thinks games are evil. Not many people still think that, the whole 'games are bad' hype died down a while ago... but still.
Bad media portrayal caused rift between my parents and my games in the past too, not sure about now.

My mom was a little freaked that I play WoW, cos most of the bad news articles were on it. Which makes sense because as it's the largest mmo, obviously lots of gamers would play it, and if someone flips out and goes on a murderous rampage after gaming, coincidentally he would have played WoW.

Last edited:
i dont think its a sin but my dad is worried about the violence.

Posting as a mom of two boys (18, 16) and a amateur gamer. They have owned several Call of Duty games.

I think the best thing in a case like this is to have dad join you in a game or two. Then he can make a more informed decision about it. I, too, was worried about the violence, and there is no denying that it is violent, but it isn't any more violent than some of the movies we watch. Really, some of the TV shows are more violent. The only thing that really does bother me about it is the language used by other players in the multi-player games. THAT to me is a concern as far as younger kids.

I think that games like this take a bad wrap for poor judgment on people's parts. A child walking into any city in Bible times would have likely seen 10s to 100s of people's bodies jammed onto a pole in a very nasty state. During the civil war, people had houses on battlefields and watched the real battles. Boys as young as 12 were in the midst of the battles. There are children, right now, living in countries where they see killings, maiming, and rapes on a weekly bases, and they aren't going around randomly killing innocent people. None of these are things I wish for my kids to see. But it's in the heart of a man/woman where actions are determined, not necessarily in what they see. Seeing may spark something, but it wasn't what they saw that caused the feelings or the actions.

If you're under 18, and dad still feels its too violent for you, then you need to respect his insight. Sometimes, it isn't about the game as much as the gamer. One of my sons can play a game and laugh at being killed. The other, get's very angry and it changes his mood. So I have no problem allowing one to play while telling the other he can not play until he learns how to have some self-control. As a parent, it's an individual thing to me, not necessarily what is on the game. There was one game I took off of both of them, it was weird how the game affected them both. Same kind of game as Call of Duty, and they were still allowed to play Call of Duty, just not that game.

If you are 18 and still living in your dad's house, I would strongly urge you to let him speak into your life and have some adult discussion with him about the game. Find out what he really is concerned about. Bringing in some positives to the game that he may not be able to see. Let him experience it himself. In a respectful manner remind him that at 18, you could be using a real gun and killing real people. Have a discussion with him.

IF YOU feel uncomfortable or a gnawing at you while you're playing that makes you feel like you shouldn't play it - DON'T. There is no need to analyze or ask other's for what they think. Quit for a week or so and then try again. If you have the gnawing again, then stop playing it. This is like when you are walking down the street and you have this feeling you shouldn't go someplace. Is that place a bad place to go? Not normally, but something is telling YOU not to go there, so just don't.

If it causes friction between your dad and you, (I mean like your dad really gets upset) then I suggest that you try to work it out before pressing on, no matter what your age, with playing the game. The Bible tells us in Matthew 5:

23 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.

If you are a Christian and your father is a Christian, then he is your brother.

We don't always have to "obey" our parents, but no matter how old we are, we do have to respect and honor them. If we are living in their home, again no matter how old we are, then we need to respect their opinions and try to work through to some kind of an agreement with them. God will not be happy with us otherwise. If they are asking us to do something that would be considered sinful, then that is another whole issue. But that is not the case here.

Oh man I'm really bitter at the moment cos someone gave me a cold before the exams. I'm in deep donuts if I'm expected to forgive IMMEDIATELY.
23 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.
So does it have to be immediate?
Also, God doesn't forgive until you repent and ask for it, so why should I before they at least say "I'm sorry"? The lines between seeking justice and retribution/revenge is blurred.

So does it have to be immediate?
Also, God doesn't forgive until you repent and ask for it, so why should I before they at least say "I'm sorry"? The lines between seeking justice and retribution/revenge is blurred.

Might be a good topic for another post. Answering it here might get confusing and totally off topic. ;)

I'd be happy to discuss this there.

heh dw about it... I'll get over it soon. I know the sooner the better and I don't bear grudges THAT long but an apology will still be at least half decent...

Sorry about that back on topic...
I think that games like this take a bad wrap for poor judgment on people's parts. A child walking into any city in Bible times would have likely seen 10s to 100s of people's bodies jammed onto a pole in a very nasty state. During the civil war, people had houses on battlefields and watched the real battles. Boys as young as 12 were in the midst of the battles. There are children, right now, living in countries where they see killings, maiming, and rapes on a weekly bases, and they aren't going around randomly killing innocent people. None of these are things I wish for my kids to see. But it's in the heart of a man/woman where actions are determined, not necessarily in what they see. Seeing may spark something, but it wasn't what they saw that caused the feelings or the actions.
There is nothing biblical that says kids should be sheltered. Back in da ol days (not saying it's ok but) kids WERE exposed to war and systematic killings including children were even performed by King David. Again not saying genocide is ok but there goes the 'kids must be sheltered from seeing bad things' theory. Those are just modern, human reasoning with good enough intentions behind them. Well it doesn't contradict the bible... so can't say it's wrong per se, but in my personal opinion, when they turn 18, the sheltered kids are going to get MASSACRED by the real world. Kind of like I am being now lol (I wasn't too sheltered but didn't have to scrap junkyards for a living)

Interrupting our regularly scheduled program for a special report ...

heh dw about it... I'll get over it soon. I know the sooner the better and I don't bear grudges THAT long but an apology will still be at least half decent...

So when you said ...

Oh man I'm really bitter at the moment cos someone gave me a cold before the exams. I'm in deep donuts if I'm expected to forgive IMMEDIATELY.
Quote:

Were you being serious? :eek: Did they give you a cold on purpose? :confused:

I wrote two blogs on forgiveness so I'll just direct you there. If you want to comment, feel free to do so there (or start a new thread here) that way we don't hijack this topic. ;)

Forgive and Forget for the Forgiver
Forgiveness and Grace for the Forgiven

:cool:

... We now return you to our regularly scheduled programing. Thank you.

my perspective...

I haven't played this title, though I have played COD world at war, far cry, and company of heroes.
I don't appreciate the cursing, mostly because I see it as an attempt to increase realism, and is therefore unneeded. I know it's not real, and when I hear cursing, it makes me wonder if I should be playing them. Needless to say, I don't play them very often.
I enjoy playing games with my 2 sons, ages 11 & 14, and we have struggled to find games that we feel are not excessively graphic, have clean language, and do not feature sexual content, or nudity. It's interesting to me because in most genres none of these are a problem. Plants vs. zombies, World of goo, and many other casual titles, did not have a problem.
Neither did any of the racing games that I own.
I don't remember Civilization ever feeling the need to curse at me, nor age of empires...
It seems with the FPS genre that developers feel that this is expected, and perfectly fine. An option to dial down cursing, gore, etc. used to be fairly common, but I guess they decided not to continue this practice...

I've thought of this for certain games too. But, as people said above, I didn't feel it was sinning. Not like watching south park and hearing all that swearing. I felt that was and that's why I don't watch it. Whether it was or not, I felt it brought me closer to God, and in the end I feel that what he wanted.

The act of playing a video game inside a vacuum is what academics would regard as a "non-moral" decision. While non-moral decisions are important and God does use non-moral decisions you make to help you along the path for your good and His glory (Romans 8:28).

However, no one lives inside of a vacuum. That is to say, the act of you playing a video game is not isolated from every other event in the world and every other Christian brother or sister.

In the Pauline Epistles, we have every indication that we should avoid what may be a stumbling block to another brother or sister in Christ (1 Corinthians 8:9) and that we should honor and obey our parents provided that obedience does not contradict or subvert Scripture in which case we are to gently and respectfully be disobedient while continuing to honor them.

As far as spending an excessive amount of time gaming, this can often lead to a slothfulness of which God warns sternly about (Proverbs 19:15). We are also reminded to seek first the Kingdom of Heaven by Our Lord Jesus Christ (Matthew 6:33). The Bible is also clear about how we should subject ourselves to one another and cloth ourselves in humility (1 Peter 5:5)

So I would encourage you brother to reflect on this non-moral decision and it's moral implications.

(1) Is it a stumbling block for a brother or sister in Christ?

(2) Are you seeking first the Kingdom of Heaven? Said another way, are you spending more time on video games than having a personal relationship with Jesus and studying His Word?

(3) Are you honoring your father and mother?

(4) Are you being subject to one another, clothed in humility?

If you are quick to say "yes, yes, yes! Can I play my game now?" to all of these questions, I would encourage you to soften your heart brother. Doubt your heart first, don't trust it. Trust in the Lord and His Word.

Are you excited about submitting and serving others, or are in you prayer about wanting to assert and rule? Asking yourself these hard questions help keep your head in the game when it comes to winning the war going on in your heart.

It's something you can never do on your own. But it is a victory you can have in Christ.

Back