Is it a sin to be drunk

PapaToad

Name withheld said:
Isnt it a sin to get drunk?...

It is a sin to be a drunkard and to put your love(if you have one) for the Alcohol before God. Everyone Knows a person who has a drinking problem and everyone stands somewhere with the drinking issue. Some feel not a drop others have a medical brown bag that cures everything from the flu to a back ache( a little of grandpas medicene)

I would like your opinion:

Do you think its a sin to drink, and if you do have one too many and get drunk; are you sinning??????????????

I am not talking drinking a quart of whiskey and puting in harmsway other people or becoming violent. We can all conculde that is unacceptable behavior no matter what you views. But what of Eon and I partaking some mead and boar, or DV or Marcylene drinking a glass of wine with dinner. (* I am not saying these people do these thing I am just making examples****)

Are we sinning if we drink or to be drunk???

Last edited:
I would like to share my thoughts

No no no

Have a drink is not sinning, I do not believe being silighty drunk/tipsy is a bad thing/ I think its a sin and a moral crime to be a drunkard! If everytime you drink you need to get drunk or end up that way, you probaly have a challenge.

An old mentor of mine said it best: If when you drink you are displaying destructive, unwanted behavoir that is not socialble acceptable you have a drinking problem.

You then need help.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Is it a sin to be drunk, or is it a sin to be a alcoholic (ie. drink everyday)
People drink, alcohol makes u drunk, I don't think thats bad. I think its bad when u drink excessivly regularly

But some people get drunk off a cup. Others a gallon Like back in the Bible day wine was cleaner then water they drank wine but they didnt get drunk, and when your drunk you have no control of what you do.

If one glass gets u drunk, maybe u shouldn't drink. Its about self control. If u can't handle it u shouldn't do it.
But I don't think if u're talking about biblical sin being drunk is wrong. Because when is a person drunk, I think after one drink everyones judgement is impared, u might not feel it but it has effected u in some way.

I was a beer and tequila guy, but I gave up drinking. I used to drink everytime I go out. I figure I have enough health problems, I don't need to add to them.
Its saving me alot of money, and I'm learning u don't need alcohol to have a good time. Now I figure I might have one beer or glass of wine at a wedding or christmas.
I think we live in a country where they say u can't drink your to young, and then when u beome old enough u do it in excess. Atleast thats how my colledge days were. But all it gets u is alot of headaches and nausia.
Just keep it in moderation.

Well, I feel drinking in moderation is definitely ok. If no harm's done, it's all good! ;)

I like to think of it this way: "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial..." 1 Corinthians 10:23

Ephesians 5:18

Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead , be filled with the spirit.

Romans 13:13

Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, nit in dissension and jealousy.

There are many more verses that speak against drunkenness. I don't think drinking a beer or having a glass of wine is necessarily a sin but drunkenness is.

Last edited:
Azzie said:
I like to think of it this way: "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial..." 1 Corinthians 10:23

Be careful how you use this verse. It is one of the verses that is misused and taken out of context often.

Having grown up with close family members who drink, and seeing the impact it had on their life and their relationships, has led me to believe that drinking is a just a waste of time, life and money.

But I suppose anything in moderation is ok....

Proverbs 31:4-7
4 It is not for kings, Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine or for rulers [to desire] beer. 5 Otherwise, they will drink, forget what is decreed, and pervert justice for all the oppressed. 6 Give beer to one who is dying, and wine to one whose life is bitter. 7 Let him drink so that he can forget his poverty and remember his trouble no more.

Bold emphasis mine.

If you're destitute or dying, can you drink yourself into oblivion to alleviate the pain?

EDIT: Just want everyone to know that this is a serious question-- I really don't understand that verse.

Last edited:
Since it says in the Bible;

1 Corinthians 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

I think that it is a no-no. I do think that it is okay to drink, since Jesus Himself turned the washing water to wine at the wedding.

Last edited:
MMMM beer my down fall!!! I have fought with that issue for many years with the thought of Jesus turning water to wine! It is wrong to be a drunkard! No way around that. So when is enough? I dare not even chance it anymore only because of my fear of just that, to be called a drunkard! And after time I don't even miss it. I do have a glass of wine occasionally. But hehehehe my Lady is a awsome regulater Bless her heart! My advice is to treat everyday as its the last day and that you wanna go>

Back