Is America growing culturally sterile?

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
In an age defined by mass production and the domination of art forms (music, movies, stories) by corporations fattened by mergers, is America losing its soul? Is it my imagination, or are we, as a nation, losing the drive to innovate, develop new art, and "reason together"? Or am I being overly critical?

Discuss. Opinions from non-US citizens are also appreciated as it would contribute evidence supporting or refuting the claim that the sterilization of culture is a worldwide, and not a solely American, phenomenon.

EDIT: Please don't misinterpret this as a slam against America. I love this country, even though I recognize its faults. My question addresses the lack of innovation and seeming lack of desire among the masses for said innovation.

Last edited:
I think it basically boils down to that a lot of Americans have gotten lazy and have become apathetic. And yeah, I would definately blame it on technology; I think that's one of our major faults (and also one of our greatest advantages - strange huh?).

It seemed that only just a few short years ago this country was full of dreams and promise; but it seems that has changed to an attitude where many people no longer care about betterment.

I don't have .02, so I'll just leave the whole dollar, lol.

other than lazy americans have become spoiled brats who all think their right. however society in my belief will continue downhill till Jesus comes back. the bible says: in the end times what is right will be wrong and wrong will be right.

I think egocentrism has also contributed to the current state of America. I would think that a major driving force behind innovation and new creations is a desire to create a better good, level of understanding, etc. But with society focused on their own needs and wants, that desire fades away.

Gen

I posted a reply with seven statements criticizing American culture, but I elected to delete the post rather than stir up debate that could turn unfriendly. I make an effort to limit my posts regarding my opinions on art, film, and music as to sponsor goodwill. My close friends can attest that I have strong, and often polarizing, opinions on these matters.

In other words, I thought it best to keep my mouth shut. ^^ Still, I will say that I am very concerned that American media has lost its interest in further developing music and film as art forms. Also, the American public, sadly enough, is content with this stagnation and regression.

Last edited:
Stagnation is definitely an issue. Just look at videogames, the fastest growing entertainment medium in the world. Which games attracted the interest of the American consumer? Virtually all had numbers at the end of their titles, designating another installment in a series. How many of these sequel games were truly innovative? Yes, many of them were absolutely spectacular, but they were more evolutionary then revolutionary.

However, my issue with American culture, specifically the entertainment realm, is not the lack of innovation, but its mere presence. It's giantic distraction, devoid of any substance. What purpose does it serve? There's no need to preach here, but materialism is a beast (anybody have any idea what it looks like?) whose thirst cannot be quenched.

I read an article in "BIOLA Connections" about a teenager who spent several months saving up to buy an electric guitar priced at nearly 1,000 dollars. He told his father one night that he took the guitar he had saved for and smashed it to pieces. When father asked why in response the teenager said he heard God ask "How much do you love me?" The article continued on using the incident to talk about extravagent worship.

I bought a Nintendo DS just the other day though, so I suppose I'm still feeding the materialism beast.

Last edited:
American media isn't that bad, its a business. If people were more iterested in listining to music with substance by singers who sing and write their music more underground artists would get signed. But we rather have a one hit wonder that can sell 5 million copies in the first few weeks and then disapear. Its become all about money.
I'm not saying its good or bad its just business.
Games are the same way, y invest money in a new game if u can spend less and get a higher return on a game that already has a following. That doesn't mean all games sequals are bad. Halo, warcraft, GTA (just got it and love it) etc.
Also its easier to find a Ashley Simpsons CD than a Bloc Party, or K-Os cd.

American media is bad and good to a degree, but my personal opinion, is it is not very good. Take a look at for instance all the shows on TV. MTV, VH1 and all sorts of stuff. Games, is a diferent story.

And yes, it is all about money. ppl get bored, so the different companies and artists have to turn to different methods of getting the listener's or viewer's intrest.

Think back, those of you that are old enough and you'll see that things really went to heck when the United States turned from an agricultural based society and TV was introduced. When you grew up working your butt off all day, actually praying and reading the bible, going to church (not the weekly "God" Box as it is today") and had some responsibilities and expectations of you, you'll recall that things were simpler, less stressful and a lot more enjoyable !! Instant gratification today is what its all about !!

Thought: Maybe culture is on the decline because the American church has, generally speaking, adopted an isolationist stance? The American church has created its own sub-culture and retreated. Hundreds of years ago, Christians were the ones setting the standards in science, technology, the arts, and even politics. True, they were human, and made mistakes, but they were involved in culture. If churches had stayed true to the charitable standards set by the early church, perhaps the government would not have felt the need to implement a welfare system.

Now the arts are, generally speaking, controlled by humanists. Perhaps it's time Christians stopped shying away from art, writing, science, and politics and get involved in our culture again.

Please don't misunderstand: I think the American church is an excellent thing. I love the church and I love my country. Yet I recognize that there's room for improvement.

Simply complaining about the problem doesn't fix anything. So how do we go about setting things right?

Last edited:
By spreading God's word and reaching out to others. By standing up and stating we believe !! Not hiding and worrying about what others will say when we stand up and state we are christians.
That would be a good start !

Sry I'm not christian but, was wondering how does christian values play a role into america being culturally sterile.

Christians were the ones setting the standards in science, technology, the arts, and even politics.

This was when christianity was a majority in america. I guess u still are but there are alot more different religions in america, and christians have split themselves up in to many denominations over the years over silly little things, when in the end u all believe in Jesus.

Christians stopped shying away from art, writing, science, and politics and get involved in our culture again.

There are christians every where u look in america, in politics both main presidential candidates were christian. In music Kanye Wests "Jesus Walks" song won for best rap song and he took the best rap album. And I'm suer there are many good christian scientists.
One of the things that makes America and my home Canada so interesting is there are so many different people from different backrounds. It makes us very culturally divers.
Is that a good thing?

Yes, but the reason the church was at the forefront of innovation in several areas has to lie at least somewhat in its control over or particpation in the governing authorities. Along with these innovations came gross abuses of power which resulted in some truly abhorrent atrocities, especially during the Reformation period. Since seperation of church (humanism gets a free pass in science education) and state won't be abolished anytime soon, the church has influence to American culture without using government channels. Is the church a dominate force in American culture though?

It's silly to confine Christianity into one ideal or movement, as the media is so fond of doing with the "Christian Right." Churches across America are so diverse in their beliefs that it seems as if the entire ideological spectrum is covered.

There is no unified voice coming from Christianity. The church appears to be too busy fighting itself to truly impact the American secular culture.

In fact, you could probably find several different views from the members of these boards on "sticky issues" like abortion, euthanasia, and evolution.

A few high-profile Christian videogames would help too.

You have to be very careful in attempts to polarise culture along religious lines - I would say that the involvement of fundamentalist religion in culture has usually sparked the death knell of a societies innovation, because religions tend to be orthodox by their very nature.

Not a whole lot of innovation there!

In addition attempting to involve religion and culture again (what you really mean is religion dictating to culture, I bet) you may end up with Tarkins Syndrome. "The tighter your grip, the more will slip through your fingers".

Back