IP Change for TF2 Server

The Mighty Gerbil

Tribe of Judah TF 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Admin
Staff member
It looks like the IP address of our TF2 game server will be changing. I will post our new IP here when it happens. An explanation from our server provider is in the spoiler below to explain why.

We have seen the old InterNAP/INAP (now called Unitas Global, owned by PacketFabric) bandwidth dropping in quality over time as this upstream shrinks its capacity, drops higher-cost upstream connections, reduces staffing, and switches to backhauling traffic through its own public peerings, all of which hurt its performance and capabilities -- to the point that it no longer meets our standards. In mid-September, we will cease using this upstream at any location, and all current "InterNAP" locations will be upgraded to "Premium" status -- with upgraded capacity, as well. Each existing Premium location that currently uses the old InterNAP bandwidth is receiving a replacement upstream, too, to supplement the remaining one(s).

Unfortunately, when this relationship is lost, we will also have to stop using any old InterNAP IP addresses and return them. We started using our own IP blocks more than a decade ago, so we haven't issued new IP addresses to customers out of these old InterNAP-controlled blocks for many years, but loyal customers (such as yourself -- thank you!) who have had services for long enough still may be using old InterNAP IPs.

The long and short of this is that you'll need to migrate this game server from using its current IP to a new IP that we directly control. The good news is that (along with seeing bandwidth/capacity improvements) you will never have to change IPs again, as long as you stick with the same location.

You have a few options on how to update your IP:

1. If knowing the new IP address in advance is not important, and running multiple copies of the server at once is not needed, you can change your server's IP address at any time by moving it to another location and then back, using the order page. When it is changed back, our system will give you a permanent new IP. (This option would be simplest for private servers. As long as you only change the location, it should also have no cost, but please double-check the confirmation page to make sure.)
2. You could run two servers at once to help you redirect/transition players. If you have a managed machine/VDS, you can do this by simply creating an additional server and configuring it to your liking; we can also help you migrate files over, if needed. If you have a standalone game server in our system, we can create a coupon code that will allow you to have an extended "free trial" for a couple of weeks, instead, giving you a new server that you can configure to become your new permanent one while cancelling the old. (This option may be best for public servers.)
3. If this is a game that supports GUIDs/saved favorites entries that can be migrated, you can take advantage of that and simply change the IP address as in #1. Games that support this include TF2, CSGO, and BFx. In this case, you'll just need to update any 3rd party tools that use the old IP and not our provided DNS.
4. You could take no action. In this case, your server will continue to run on its old IP for as long as INAP/UnitasGlobal/PacketFabric allows it to be used. When the old IP stops working, we will scramble to manually change it on our end, updating all relevant configuration files in the process.

Your current IP address will continue to work through September 15. After September 15, your old IP address may immediately become inaccessible, or may stop working at some later point, depending on how PacketFabric decides to handle the change. We strongly recommend having the migration complete by then.

We have always been extremely careful about not forcing IPs to be changed unless absolutely necessary. Though it is not as painful to switch IPs now as it once was, we recognize that it is still an invasive, manual process. Please accept our sincere apologies for this being unavoidable.

I'm currently logged in to the control panel for our server and I've initiated the first move (from Chicago to Dallas). Once that's complete, I'll initiate the second move (from Dallas back to Chicago). Once I have the new IP address, I'll share it here and on social media and the CGA Discord server.

I don't know how long each move will take and I need to head to bed (gotta be up at a reasonable hour for work!), but I plan to start the second move tomorrow morning if not sooner.

The server move from Chicago to Dallas was successful. I've initiated the server move from Dallas back to Chicago. It will likely take a few hours to complete. I plan to post the new address this evening once I'm off work and back at my computer.

The move from Dallas to Chicago was successful! Huzzah!

The new address for the ToJ TF2 server is 74.91.113.238:27015

Thanks to Pamfafoofle for helping test the Source Mod commands. Looks like we're ret-2-go for next Tuesday night!

Back