Interesting interview with Bioware

interesting article. Something didn't seem right about it, then I realized I was reading this while playing EVE.

I think that really the most important thing about an mmo is to know exactly where they are going with their game. Solo or group, sandbox or not, easy or hard, PvP or PvE, know it and stick with it. If EVE tried to follow his advice, they would be a totally different game, and definitely not for the better.

Though one important thing he mentioned that all MMO developers need to take to heart: Quality trumps nearly everything. Especially in this day and age where there are so many different competitors, the game HAS to have as few bugs and problems as possible. Being able to spot and fix them quickly and efficiently is paramount, especially in a game's early days. It seems those first few days/weeks can really make or break a game.

Are those examples of games that were broken in the first few days? I never played them, but I do know that they didn't seem to get very far.

AO still holds the record for the worst MMO launch ever...but it is alive today and still releasing Xpacs some 9 years later.

Last edited:
I'll take your Asheron's Call and raise you an Anarchy Online. :D
Aha! Anarchy Online! That's the MMO I was thinking of.

If I recall, Anarchy Online had the worst major MMO launch ever.

Well let's hope TOR actually succeeds in learning from such an example. Anarchy Online may still exist, but it certainly isn't anything important. Honestly, how many people even know about it these days? I knew it started up, but I certainly didn't know it still existed.

The real break thru with AO was that even bad games get played for a long time. Sorta like how WoW is still played today even though it takes no skill and a monkey could level to 50 pretty easy.

This is true, though WoW is at least well made. Since a lot of people don't really have much skill, making it easy to level up makes sense. TOR will probably have a fairly easy level up process as well, but they will also have storyline along the way. The story should make that process a lot more fun and interesting.

Back