Idea: Seven day writing commitment

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
What do you all think of getting forum members to sign up to write every day for seven days? They would need to post at least 100 words worth of writing to the Assignment Writing forum each day. If time is tight, they could also scan handwritten text and post a link to the image file. Each person could have their own threads to post their daily entries. Other could then post replies to those entries.

I'd like to participate as it's hard for me to find time to write every day. This contest could help me get back into the habit of writing daily. It might do the same for others.

Anyway, just an idea I wanted to share. :D

Good idea Tek, I definitely want to support the concept of daily writing. One of the better books on writing I own is called Writing on the Right Side of the Brain. If I remember correctly (might be getting it confused with another book) the author encourages writers to adopt the following slogan:

NULLA DIES SINE LINEA

Which means "never a day without a line." The author herself has the slogan posted everywhere - it's probably engraved on her keychain, stuck on her refrigerator, sticky-noted to the computer screen, etc. The important thing I suppose is that this slogan comes to mind every day.

The really great thing about writing every day is that it trains you to be productive and accomplish writing projects even when you're not in an inspired or creative mood. Amateur writers often mistakenly think they have to be inspired at all times while writing. But the fact is, when the left side of your brain (aka the creative side) is in a thunk, the right side (analytical) is usually working in overdrive. And that just happens to be the side of the brain you need for EDITING. So why not see your 'writer's block' or general malaise as an ASSET instead of the bane of your writing existence? Makes sense to me, and I have benefitted greatly by employing this principal in my own writing - though I am still far from productive enough to consider myself to be an actual 'writer'.

So what do you guys think about Tek's idea? Would there be any takers to posting a minimum of 100 lines per day over a week? That's really a tiny amount of writing, but the real benefit is that if you're engaging in a writing process every day, you're laying the groundwork to becoming productive with your writing. The only problem I can think of about posting stuff daily is that some stuff is just going to seem embarassingly bad to the author, at least until it can be edited. So I think it would be acceptable for authors to be allowed to occasionally substitute a submission with an affirmation that they wrote 100 words minimum, but just don't wanna post it. ;)

Paul

NULLA DIES SINE LINEA

Which means "never a day without a line."
Maybe someone in the Editors Guild Forum can whip up a wallpaper image with that text in big, bold letters?

The only problem I can think of about posting stuff daily is that some stuff is just going to seem embarassingly bad to the author, at least until it can be edited. So I think it would be acceptable for authors to be allowed to occasionally substitute a submission with an affirmation that they wrote 100 words minimum, but just don't wanna post it. ;)
Perhaps writers could PM their "rougher" (i.e. embarrassing) drafts directly to you, so there's a measure of accountability and writers don't have to share their less polished works? That way you can verify that they wrote 100 words for that day.

Also, should we define what types of writing (fiction, non-fiction, poetry, blog-like rants) are acceptable for the contest?

At first, I was thinking, "No." This being that I've been working like a chicken with its head cut off trying to polish my book up for peer review and for publisher/agent submission. And then I realized that I've actually got 3 different series ideas. So yep, I'm in. 100 words a day are pennies anyway!

Also, should we define what types of writing (fiction, non-fiction, poetry, blog-like rants) are acceptable for the contest?

I think many writers spend too much time making value judgments about what they're writing. Is it long enough, is it the right genre, does it show off my skill as a writer, whatever. But on the other hand, there is a craft to writing too and a person carefully sculpting a plot twist vs someone ranting about their tough day at work or school aren't necessarily practicing 'writing' to an equal degree.

So here's what I'd recommend - in a seven day week, at least five submissions have to consist of either story or poetry. That way, if you're the type who occasionally benefits from stream-of-consciousness writing, or if you simply want to spend your day down-to-earth, or if the only thing you feel like typing up is a complaint about your rotten day - you get the idea. That's just a suggestion, you guys might have better ideas.

Hey Tjguitarz, you can kick us off tomorrow - make your own writer's thread and post your at-least-100-words entry. I'll sticky it.

Paul

So here's what I'd recommend - in a seven day week, at least five submissions have to consist of either story or poetry.
Roger that.

Hey Tjguitarz, you can kick us off tomorrow - make your own writer's thread and post your at-least-100-words entry.
Does that mean we should all start tomorrow then? If so, I'm down with that. I just need fair warning so I can start the wheels turning.

I'm looking forward to the next seven days! :D

Alright, let's get this started.
If you are planning to participate, simply make a post with the following title:

Tek's Writing Challenge: [YOUR CGALLIANCE USER NAME OR REAL NAME]

When I see your thread I will sticky it. Your thread has two purposes:

1 You post to it every day over a period of 7 days. Each post should make it clear that you have written at least 100 words that day, and if you don't have a good reason to do otherwise you should post samples of what you've written. YOUR POST ITSELF DOES NOT HAVE TO CONSTITUTE 100 WORDS, it just has document that you've done so.

2 Others can respond to your posts. Responses must fall under two categories: A) Critique or advice about the writing samples or writing in general; B) Encouragement (including good-natured humor). Please don't abuse the latter - these threads are going to get long and we don't want people to have to weed through spamz to follow the writer's progress.

This challenge is now open and I'd encourage participants to start right away. I will keep this challenge open through the Summer, until August 1, 2007.

One final note - There will be a special reward for anyone who decides to continue the 7-day challenge for a month - 28 days total, CONSECUTIVE. You will be automatically eligible to participate in group writing projects. And it just happens that I'm planning to start one of those on August 1. More on that later.

Paul

Last edited:
You will be automatically eligible to participate in group writing projects. And it just happens that I'm planning to start one of those on August 1. More on that later.
Yay, group writing! I haven't worked on a collaborative writing project since The Battles of Dylar IV. Good times, good times.

Alright, let's get this started.
If you are planning to participate, simply make a post with the following title:

Tek's Writing Challenge: [YOUR CGALLIANCE USER NAME OR REAL NAME]
/blush

I'm perfectly fine with us calling it the Assignment: Writing! Challenge, or Spring Challenge, or 7-Day Challenge, or something of the sort. But the official title of the contest is at your discretion, sir.

Can we post a brief summary of an idea for a short story and count that as our 100 words for a given day?

Aw. I was gonna play until I saw this whole "story or poetry" thing. My husband left that part out...

I don't write stories and stuff, and I do NOT write poetry. (Believe me, NONE of us want me writing poetry...)

I do, however, write long, thought-out blog entries. They're usually reviews or informative. I've even written a few essay-type things, like my Defense of Middle Eastern Dance. (Long story behind that one.)

But not fiction. I can edit fiction, I can come up with ideas for fiction. But my fiction work comes in the form of D&D or Paranoia sessions. :D (So I wouldn't be doing the group fiction thing, either.)

But I think it's great y'all are doing this. Make my husband write more. ;)

Can we post a brief summary of an idea for a short story and count that as our 100 words for a given day?

Well, it's your contest - you should definitely be able to make up the rules as you go along if you want. :D Just kidding - seriously, I think posting summaries is fine. The important thing is that 100 words, constituting new material (not editing) was accomplished every day over a seven day writing period. Whether the actual material is shared is up to the author. I sure don't want to share everything I write, so I wouldn't be comfortable requiring it of anyone else.

After your seven-day challenge has been accomplished Tek, I'm hoping all participants will keep their writing threads going for at least another three weeks. I am going to treat these writing threads as writing portfolios and anyone who has been regularly posting their work and updates over a month (doesn't have to be every consecutive day after the seven-day challenge) will be automatically eligible to participate in an upcoming group writing project.

Paul

Back