Hope

cc.slim

I have an internal struggle with the word Hope in my walk of Faith! A little input on the proper use of this word would greatly be appreciated, for the only place I can see it used is the instance of hoping that one day that the desired, would stand beside me, praising our faithful, kind, and loving God!

Hope is a twin of Faith according to Hebrews 11:1, "Faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see." It's a daily thing; hope is just not getting into heaven some day, but is used to deepen our Faith.

I hope this was helpful.

Hello I am a bit of a newbie to the forum but there are a few verses to look into concerning the word hope

one that always seems to pop into my head is Romans 5:1-6

Rom 5: 1-6 (emphasis mine) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only [so], but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

Another one from Romans was Cited by Pope Benedict XVI in his Encyclical Spe Salvi (Saved in hope).
a link to the encyclical is provided here if you should so choose to view it. He goes in to greater detail on the subject than I could.

Romans 8:24-28
For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if we hope for that we see not, [then] do we with patience wait for [it]. Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what [is] the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to [the will of] God. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose.

Hope is among other things a gift to you from God. and is a gift that consoles us against despair and resignation. and God's hope does not disappoint. Hope is also a necessary component of our salvation. we can believe in Christ but if we do not possess hope for eternal life can we really say we out our faith in him? all this said. like all the virtues, like faith and charity, look not on these as mere mental states or emotions but as the Holy Spirit working through you. and in emulation of the relationship that Christ has within the trinity (see John chapter 17), take this gift and exercise it joyfully upon the Lord and other as well.

in fact Go read John 17, all of it.. it's a great meditation on hope in the midst of trials, and it's straight from the mouth of Jesus.

I hope (no pun intended) this was useful, God Bless you and take care.

There is a book by John Engell James called "Christian Hope"

††† EDIT †††
I happened to have found it on the internet and included a link.

Last edited:
Thank you all for this was needed! I thought I was stepping outside of faith by using Hope as a selfish wish, hence I dead ended it by saying Hoped upon every blessing received within faith. After studying your helping directions I find there is no end to Hope, it instead becomes an instant prayer for and from! wOOt!!!!!

Back