Holy Spirit WRT Denominations within the church

P

pieman3141

SO.... I was talking to my mom the other day about my former church and its doctrine about the Holy Spiirit. Apparently, my former church does not believe in people being filled with the holy spirit, or something like that. Apparently, Baptisits teach the same thing (I have a baptist friend). My brother doesn't even know what the Holy Spirit is (SHOCK!!! I almost choked on my pizza when I heard that), cuz his sunday school teachers don't know anything about it either, and their church doesn't teach much in the sermons.

Background info: I go to a Mennonite church, that teaches about a loving and personal God, who regularly sends out the Holy Spirit to us, a bit like what the Pentecostals believe, but not to that extent. So, spiritual gifts, revivals, hand-raising while singing, tongues, are all in. I go to a different church than my parents, after feeling that I wasn't learning/feeling God for 5 years.

SO: My question is, what denomination are you, and how does your church teach about the holy spirit? Do you do things like Pentecostals or liek Baptists? Curiosity, mostly.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT, I REPEAT, NOT A BASHING THREAD. Mods, please close this if someone starts bashing another denomination.

I am a member of the Salvation Army, yet I was raised in an Assembly of God. The SA preaches it, yet they tend to not perform the gifts during services, as they believe it can/does lead to confusion.

From my experience, we can't really say this denomination does things this way and this one does things the other. There are all sorts of baptists, presbyterians, and pentecostals.

To answer your question, I grew up in a Covenant church and went there for most of my life. They tend to be considered quite liberal, but ours was not. We were very evangelistic. We were taught the Holy Spirit is given to us the moment we accpet Christ. He dwells within us. There are many verses supporting this, but I forget where. I think Paul says in Colossians something like "the same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead is within us". There is also mention the Holy Spirit is a helper, comforter, and basically gives us the understanding of Scripture.

The last 3 years I have been part of a Presbyterian church. Again, usually considered liberal, but there are some that are fighting for what is right. Again, it's a VERY evengelistic church and preaches the name of Jesus, and almost always has an opportunity to accept Christ. I consider my current church to have a similar viewpoint on the Holy Spirit.

Neither church uses tongues. Spiritual gifts...why YES. We should always be using them. But more like, the pastor using his gift of teaching/preaching, the people who set up the chairs using the gift of service, etc. Doing worship, I have used the gifts of encouragment and prophecy.

Hand raising is seen in both churches, but more like a few scattered here and there. It isn't looked down upon by any means.

You mention
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]who regularly sends out the Holy Spirit to us

I believe the Holy Spirit never leaves us. He is ALWAYS with us. Now, King Saul lost the Spirit, but that was before Christ came. Once Christ came, He gives us the Spirit to remain with us always.

Evangelical here and we believe in the Holy Spirit and tha it's in every believer. We don't do talking in tongues or anything like that though.

PCA here, we believe, biblically based of course, that the Holy Spirit is constantly dwelling in believers (as opposed to being periodically sent out as you mentioned)..and no speaking in tongues..i, at least, believe that gift died out with the apostles

www.tenth.org

Umm....Christian here and supposedly we believe that Holy Spirit is part of God...last I heard.
I go to a Baptist church, been baptized, etc. but don't FEEL Baptist. I feel Christian. Or something to that nature. I wish I could honest-to-God say that I am a perfect person...but alas, my imperfections surface far more than my Christian fruits do, and that saddens me.
But, I do believe that the Holy Spirit can help me, guide me, teach me, lead me, and do the same for others...I don't believe that the Holy Spirit comes down on you and makes you speak tongues to a group of people that knows only English. What for? And then the tongue of angels? What purpose serves that for man to talk in? It is not our language, and we do not discuss over tea things with the spirits...it's just not done. We talk in this mortal medium. Leave spirit talk up to the spirits. And if God wants a message sent from the spirit world, I am assured that a spirit can take on a fleshly form and talk to me.
Not too long ago I made a topic about this group of Assembly of God-ists that waltzed and in and gibbered in tongues. Well...no. I don't support that, my church doesn't either, and frankly, I doubt God does.

I am a non denominational/baptist. I belive that the spirit is always with us,that it conforts us,bestows blessings on us,is our conscience (<spelling)?,and is part of the Trinity.

Now that I think about it, I should also mention I consider myself to be non-denominational. I have never associated myself with a denomination. I simply desire to go to Bible believing, Christ preaching, Spiritually gifted, worshipful churches.

Non denominational Christian church. We believe in the Holy Spirit, and that it is with us always. We believe each person has there own spiritual gifts through the spirit. ( not everyone has the same gift.)

Cory.

Re: Sending out...

That phrase was poorly worded on my part. Of course he/it lives within each of us. However, ... you know those times when you just get overwhelmed and start crying/laughing/whatever because of the HS? THOSE are what I was referring to.

Yeah, it's tough to label yourself in a denomination, because each denomination has its own bad seeds, too...thats why I didn't even say Presbyterian, I said PCA, as opposed to PCUSA...like you, I prefer to refer to myself simply as Christian - a follower of Christ

however, denominations ARE a good thing, and I can give a good reason why (though not my own =P heard it at PCRT{Philadelphia Conference on Reformation Theology}, made good sense) though thats for another thread

and about the Holy Spirit being our consience - I'm sorry, but that must be wrong..if that was so, then the Holy Spirit would be in everybody...despite the actions people may commit, everybody has a consience, whatever a consience may be exactly...but it's certainly not the Holy Spirit
biggrin.gif
just thought I'd point that out

I'd label myself as a Christian too, simply cuz I've been to 3 kinds of churches

Hey

I'm from australia, so my denomination Is Apostolic churhc of Australia, but they have nothing to do with Apostolics in the US cos theyre freaky... (i ca't remember what we are called over there) similar to the AOG in australia, which is also a little different to the AOG over there, so i don't know how to describe it.

Optional

I think thats the word that gets most discussions going. When people take the word of God and say something is optional, that's where problems start. Healing - optional. Blessings - optional. Holy Spirit - Optional.

Sometimes when our faith can't accept what the word says, we go 'it must be optional'.

faith was nearly made optional once.... Hence we have it recorded in the Bible. One person talks about faith as talk. You have faith if you just talk about it. Optional. Another guys says, naa man, you don't talk faith you do it.

You don't talk faith. You don't talk anything, and leave it at that.

Luke 11:28
He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it." NIV

Look through acts and ask yourself one question....

When the disciples came accross someone who wasn't baptised in the spirit what did they do? Was it optional.

If you had John baptism (they baptised you into Jesus name. why? was it optional?) when you were batised in jesus name but not baptised in the H.S? what happened? was it optional?

THen ask yourself another question.
How long did the book of acts occur over?

Is it one week in the local church back then? Was it records from over about 20, 30, 40 years.... getting closer.

Then ask yourself is anything in the Word optional?

I love the word, and finding out what it really says.

sealcomm

Back