Holiness what is it?

ursen

Officer SOE/LoE/Where's "here"?
14 Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. Hebrews 12:14 (NIV)
This was today's Verse of the Day for those of you who don't check that out. Does this verse really mean what it says? That we cannot see God without Holiness? Well the whole Bible is true, so I guess that verse is true. So that begs the question, What is Holiness? And how do we become holy? Is it just, "Don't smoke, don't drink, don't chew, and don't hang around with those that do."? Or is it more? Do we meditate until we levitate and walk on water? Do we, or more specifically I :eek: seek holiness on a daily basis? There have been several good Christian writers on holiness, such as Samuel Logan Brengle, and others, are these writings relevant for today? What is Holiness and how do we become holy?

Last edited:
Holiness is set apart for God. That is a simple answer.

However, our Holiness is based on Christ.

Best picture I have heard about holiness is that of a farmer. The farmer has to do some work-IE planting and preparing the field. But, the farmer knows it is God is does the real work of making something grow.

I feel this way about my personal holiness. I have to "work" at it. But, God does the real work in the person of Jesus Christ.

14 Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. Hebrews 12:14 (NIV)
This was today's Verse of the Day for those of you who don't check that out. Does this verse really mean what it says?
Yes.

That we cannot see God without Holiness?
Correct

Well the whole Bible is true, so I guess that verse is true. So that begs the question, What is Holiness?
It means to be "Set Apart". And not just set apart, but set apart for God.

And how do we become holy?
By having saving faith in Jesus Christ and what he accomplished on the cross. (Romans 1:7, Ephesians 1:4, Ephesians 5:25-27, Colossians 1:22, Colossians 3:12, 2 Timothy 1:9, Hebrews 2:11, Hebrews 10:10, Hebrews 13:12, + any greeting by Paul in his letters)

Is it just, "Don't smoke, don't drink, don't chew, and don't hang around with those that do."?
Ack! Works do not translate to holiness. They may be a result of holiness, but they are not the cause of holiness. Holiness has to do with the heart.

Or is it more?
See above.

Do we meditate until we levitate and walk on water?
If we could do this, don't you think we would see it happening on a semi-regular basis? I know I'd do it as often as I got the chance (love those flying dreams).

Do we, or more specifically I :eek: seek holiness on a daily basis?
If you are a believer, you are holy. That is not to say we do not work out our salvation with fear and trembling, but God has already set you apart as His.

There have been several good Christian writers on holiness, such as Samuel Logan Brengle, and others, are these writings relevant for today?
I tend to prefer the Bible to any other book. The Bible is always relevant.

What is Holiness and how do we become holy?
See above.

Patriot pretty much nailed it on the head. Holiness is set God set apart from creation, and we become holy (sanctification is the act) through Christ in whom we are justified by faith. Think great exchange theology here.

And to spell it out even more for those that don't know big words:
In and of ourselves we are wretched and worthless. Justified in our faith and walking with Christ in sanctification God has redeemed us and our nature for His kingdom and Glory. So holiness is not an action we preform but a substantial change in our standings with God - aka when God sees Christians he sees his own holiness <created in his own image etc. etc.>

That being said, it raises a more perplexing "problem" and situation. If we are holy in Christ when we sin are we still holy? (This is mostly to keep the thread going since the first question and answer just opens up even more glorious conversation and commentary).

Last edited:
Adding to what's been said, I tend to think of holiness as being "clean" enough to enter heaven.

On the subject of seeing God - let's bear in mind that no one has seen God; we saw his son, saw angels, a pillar of smoke, etc...but not God. When we head to the new Jerusalem, we'll see God.

Holiness is something to do with swiss cheese I think.

Yeah, it's what happens when my jeans get scuffed under my shoes enough.

RyanB said:
let's bear in mind that no one has seen God

Hmm... I disagree. Read from Isaiah 6: (NIV)

1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:

“Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory.”

4 At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.

5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty.”

Back