HL2 Appropriateness

drumguy763

Good job on the review on Half-Life 2...I have a few other questions about it though.

I know there's going to be blood in it, but how much is there?  I played the demo, and the second level (Ravenholm, I believe) was pretty gory.  I know most of the gore is in the environment, but still...is that the worst of the gore in the game?  I also tried to turn the blood off in the console, but it didn't seem to have an effect...might be just because it's a demo, though.

Another thing I'm concerned about is language...how frequent is it?  How does it compare to Halo?

Another Christian review of HL2 can be found here...they rated it very highly.

As a sidenote, have you guys heard of Garry's mod?  It basically lets you go nuts with the physics engine...g4techtv had a video of it in action:
http://media.g4techtv.com/video/ss1035garrysmod.swf

The language seemd less frequent then halo 2, and yes ravenholm contains the worst of the gore in the game, i just turned on godmode and sped through it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The language seemd less frequent then halo 2, and yes ravenholm contains the worst of the gore in the game, i just turned on godmode and sped through it.

The Demo version, not the Full version.

What a cheater, heh.

Of course, there should be some language, its a desperate situation on HL2.  Horror type games gotta have the language or else, it wont be scary. But some of the language gets cut off like what Barney says on 1 of the missions: "And tell Dr. (something) I said, F......." then that place caves in, so all u can hear is the cave breaking down, not what Barney was about to finish, hehehe...

My question is, how old are you, drumguy763? Cause I find it very odd to have younger gamers owning Mature rated games...

Well, there is a wide range of M games. Some of which, I would not play (such as Resident Evil 4) and some that I would (Halo).....it all depends on the game. I think this game should've been rated T if it weren't for the Ravenholm scene.

Besides that one scene, tho, I found it to be quite appropriate for such a game.

SirThom:  Do you know if Ravenholm is the same in the demo as it is in the full version?

Corpfox:  I personally don't find it necessary to swear in a game...and yes, I am old enough to buy Mature games, but that doesn't mean I want to...it depends on the content.

For those who have used the violence console settings, how much difference does it make?

Thank you.

Yes, I believe that the gore in Ravenholm is as bad as it gets.

The swearing is pretty limited, only a few (s***, d***, h***, etc.) here and there. Halo has less probably.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For those who have used the violence console settings, how much difference does it make?

Theres a violence console setting?  
rock.gif

Odd, I never see that on all of my violent games...then again, their all rated Mature...
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]SirThom:  Do you know if Ravenholm is the same in the demo as it is in the full version?

Its exactly from the full version...its just how you got there that isnt on the demo...

Heh, even the original Half-Life had gore and language...

At least its not as gorey as Doom 3, cause that game IS gorey...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know there's going to be blood in it, but how much is there? I played the demo, and the second level (Ravenholm, I believe) was pretty gory. I know most of the gore is in the environment, but still...is that the worst of the gore in the game?

How does one level effect people from being too gorey when other games are constant gore one level after another? eg;Doom 3

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Theres a violence console setting?  
rock.gif

Sorry if the 'violence' part confused you...it's actually more gore-related than violence in general.

Tthere are some console commands for alien blood/gibs and human blood/gibs...here's what the comment on the review said about it:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey guys, here's some ways to turn down the violence. You'll have to activate the 'console' in the advanced keyboard options. You can then use the '~' beside the '1' key to bring down the command console.

Type:

violence_ablood 0 <- Turns off alien blood

violence_agibs 0 <- Alien gore off (zombie models don't change)

violence_hblood 0 <- Human blood off

violence_hgib 0 <- Human gore off (though I don't think I've seen any anyway).
I tried those and it didn't seem to have any effect.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Heh, even the original Half-Life had gore and language...

Well, I never exactly played that one either
rock.gif

I played counter strike for a few minutes at a friend's house, but that's all...I know, my friends can't believe I never played the original either  
biggrin.gif

After enabling cheats and replaying the first demo map, I disabled the blood settings again. Well, the human command works with the combine, so at least I know that one works (still not sure about alien).

Got to Ravenholm on the demo last night. Now I know what you guys are talking about. That was a little beyond my tastes.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That was a little beyond my tastes.  

Yet, there are games that are worse than the 1 level of Half-Life 2.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Tthere are some console commands for alien blood/gibs and human blood/gibs...

Weird, I did noticed that; When I threw/used a grenade to a combine(human), they are thrown like rag dolls.

When I threw/used a grenade to a alien(alien), they are blown up into pieces. (Or sliced when using the Gravity Gun and a saw)

I have never used that G Gun and a saw and sliced a combine, odd...

Not even in Multiplayer, can you use any sharp objects to decapatate your opponent, only the aliens...

I'm getting sick and tired of people whinning about that level in HL2, That is the only gorey level in the whole game, period.  Unless you count those zombies in the other levels of the game, gorey, then dont get HL2 if it sickness you.  Get halo 2, or something, uggh!

OK, Language, I give it 3 out of 5, its has humor like Duke Nukem 3d.  In a enviroment like that, w/o swearing, would sound weird; "Oh hey, a giant monster is gonna kill us, darn you not pretty monster."  Instead of; "Oh Hey, a $$$$$$$$ giant monster is gonna kill us, %%%% &&&&& $$$$$$ ###### monster."

From your link review, drumguy:

So with all this information put together does it have a Christian value? Half-Life 2 is very violent in nature as you could say all first person shooters are. Where Half-Life 2 takes a different street, is that it’s not demonic like Doom 3. Half-Life 2 is a very enjoyable game, has very minor swearing, and no spiritual demonic affect. So should you be concerned if your child plays? I would argue that violent games have a very minor affect on children that are well mannered and responsible. To know when a game is becoming too much apart of their lives and affecting them, is something a responsible kid will see. So what age group should play this game? The ESRB gave it a M for mature rating which is 17+.

No offense, but if a parent let a minor play this game, they are very bad parents.

Well, I'm nearly 15, so I guess my parents are very bad
rock.gif

(I know you said 'no offense', but if you need to say that, should you be saying that in the first place?)

There are lots of games out there that I play, some of which ARE rated M, and some games I don't. I personally disregard the ESRB ratings, because they are //usually// wrong anyway. My parents are usually okay with a game that I might play as long as it doesn't contain much sexuality, occult stuff, loads of gore, or bad language. That only refuses a few games (UT, Doom, etc.) but I am completely fine with that... so I would not say my parents are bad.
laugh.gif

(Edit for smiley problem)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, I'm nearly 15, so I guess my parents are very bad  
rock.gif

Well, if you seen/heard what the 14 year old minor swore at a Christian server, then whoever parented their son/daughter to swear, did it poorly.

But I havent seen/heard you swear, SirThom, since I dont play what games you play.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote  
Hey guys, here's some ways to turn down the violence. You'll have to activate the 'console' in the advanced keyboard options. You can then use the '~' beside the '1' key to bring down the command console.

Type:

violence_ablood 0 <- Turns off alien blood

violence_agibs 0 <- Alien gore off (zombie models don't change)

violence_hblood 0 <- Human blood off

violence_hgib 0 <- Human gore off (though I don't think I've seen any anyway).

I tired it on my HL2, its works, I've shot a combine multiply times and no blood came out.  Same goes with the zombies, but I havent tried the 'slicing zombie' yet.

So, practically no blood what so ever, your shooting/killing dummies...

ITs funny, it had alot of options to cencoring HL2, you could make that game soo cencored, that even kids would enjoy it...
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Corpfox @ Jan. 29 2005,1:02)]But I havent seen/heard you swear, SirThom, since I dont play what games you play.
Well, I don't swear, so even if you see me online somewhere, you wouldn't see me swear no matter what game it is. And, I play HL2, CS, CS:S, and BattleFront mostly, so it's not all that different from what might be played around ToJ.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That is the only gorey level in the whole game, period.

Well, that is at least good to know. This is exactly why we have these forums. To freely discuss, ask, and answer questions regarding games.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote
That is the only gorey level in the whole game, period.

Well, that is at least good to know. This is exactly why we have these forums. To freely discuss, ask, and answer questions regarding games.

btw, Ravenholm, is longer on the full version than the demo.
wink.gif

Back