High School club idea for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Care to elaborate on this?

Like the ordeal with the Ten Commandments or saying 'God' in the Pledge of Allegiance. People, atheists among others, lay down the 'separation of church and state' card in order to have them removed in 'protection of the state.'

As I said before, this is an action contrary to the original meaning.

Lol For an atheist DV you sure quote the word of God from the Bible alot.
Strange and interesting I find this to be.

Many years ago I was once like you are now DV.
I accepted Christ at a very early age but as I grew and got older I came to the point of believing in nothing.
Remember the movie "The Neverending Story" you could say that the "nothing" swept away my belief in God.
Then I cared about nothing and no one, including my self.
Little did I realize that God was still with me and that He did not let me go.
Regardless of what you may think or feel about what I just said here, I know in my heart that He loves you and He will not let you go so easliy.

Well the main difference between us is that I didn't slip into a nihilistic state.

I care about a great many things including my family and myself.

I don't deny God's existence, I simply don't have enough evidence, proof, or reason to warrant a belief in him. If he wants me to believe in him, he knows where to find me :)

Oddly enough, you've motivated me to finish another thread I've been working on. It's a few thoughts I've assembled about why we're seeing more and more people now-a-days that don't believe.... especially people that have changed their beliefs.

Due to my work schedule, it'll be a few days before I have time to polish it up, but I'll be sure to link to it here as I think it applies...

Basically, in a very brief oversimplification... You have to truly want to have God come to you. But just like any relationship, it takes work from both involved parties to make it work. If either party has a "do it or else" attitude, it doesn't work. I know if I treated my spouse like that, she certainly wouldn't stand for it. Why should I expect God to?

while at the same time you attack people by using portions of scripture. you may not believe in God but you are trying to make others not believe. You are spreading poison.

Well the main difference between us is that I didn't slip into a nihilistic state.

I care about a great many things including my family and myself.

I don't deny God's existence, I simply don't have enough evidence, proof, or reason to warrant a belief in him. If he wants me to believe in him, he knows where to find me :)

You say you care about a great many things your family and yourself, but living a life with purpose and meaning independant of God can only bring you to this conclusion "everything is utterly meaningless".

Logically the conclusion if meaningless is "all is vanity".

If all is vanity then your statement that you care about a great many things including your family and yourself is simply not true.

In God's kingdom you will have the opportunity for a meaningful life and all you need to do is accept God's gift of faith.

Heres the formula for wholeness and a meaningful life - "You + Christ", and without it all is vanity.

MeH!

Was this thread highjacked or what!?!?

Well, seeing it as it is now, I will post accordingly-lol
Whatever happened to Matt 6:5-6?

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."
Jesus adds to that as well..

In context Matthew 23:4-6
4They tie up heavy loads and put them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.
5"Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues;

PsT
The closet is in the secret place..
Which parts of you cannot be seen by the naked eye, hrmm?
Both the soul and the spirit!
But here, Jesus further expounds upon the secret place by informing us to shut the door, and that God is there..

Jesus is the door, so hide in Him and pray! :D
The Holy of Holies is His dwelling place in man..
The Lord is in His Holy Temple! :D
Habakkuk 2:20
But the LORD is in his holy temple; let all the earth be silent before him."
James 5:9
Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door!
Revelation 3:20
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

I simply don't have enough evidence, proof, or reason to warrant a belief in him.

My thoughts...

Evidence: Read Case for Christ, Faith, and Creationism. Very good, and has a substantial amount of evidence.

Nevertheless, the best evidence is what Jesus Christ does to people’s lives. I've seen Christ's power lift people from heavy drug addictions the instant they accepted His gift. I've seen families reunited after the father, who had abandoned all hope and his family, accepted Christ. I've even seen gothic and emo kids smile after this revelation. There is no greater evidence.

Proof: See evidence above… :rolleyes:

Reason: Look at the thousands of Africans dying from AIDS each day - men, women, and children.

See a child living in a garbage dump in Ecuador. The incredible heat and nauseating smell of waste is the smell of home. Each day he watches his kin battle for the last scraps of food, the loser dying from starvation.

Even look in this country, at the devastation from 9/11 or Hurricane Katrina. You saw it on TV, people screaming in panic, crying in pain.

So much death and destruction warrants a reason for a savior. This evil has to have a cause, Satan, and for ever villain there has to be a hero. Jesus Christ.

I know this is off topic but I must say this.

DV if you had an experience like the Apostle Paul had on the road to Damascus would that warrant a belief in Him?

If you had the experience of Thomas when Christ appeared out of nowhere and He said thrust your hand in my side would that warrant a belief in Him?

If you had the experince of dying and found yourself in hell or found yourself standing in heaven before Him but suddenly you are revived by a team of doctors would that be a reason to believe in Him?

No matter how you respond here to what has been written I will say this to you now, "In the name of Jesus Christ, son of the Living God and my Savior forever, that I bless you.:)

My thoughts...

Evidence: Read Case for Christ, Faith, and Creationism. Very good, and has a substantial amount of evidence.

Been there done that. Lee Strobel's books have more holes in them than swiss cheese. And sorry, there is no "evidence" in them.

Nevertheless, the best evidence is what Jesus Christ does to people’s lives. I've seen Christ's power lift people from heavy drug addictions the instant they accepted His gift. I've seen families reunited after the father, who had abandoned all hope and his family, accepted Christ. I've even seen gothic and emo kids smile after this revelation. There is no greater evidence.[/quote]

If that's the greatest evidence you have, you're on pretty thin ice. I've seen the same happen without a smattering of Christianity involved. Moreover, I'm sure the same "evidence" can be used to support the existence of other gods in other religions.

Proof: See evidence above… :rolleyes:

To quote a swordsman, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

Reason: Look at the thousands of Africans dying from AIDS each day - men, women, and children.

Uh...yeah...pain, suffering, evil....those things are reasons NOT to believe a benevolent god exists.

See a child living in a garbage dump in Ecuador. The incredible heat and nauseating smell of waste is the smell of home. Each day he watches his kin battle for the last scraps of food, the loser dying from starvation.

And your prayers do what for him? God does what for him?

Even look in this country, at the devastation from 9/11 or Hurricane Katrina. You saw it on TV, people screaming in panic, crying in pain.

So much death and destruction warrants a reason for a savior. This evil has to have a cause, Satan, and for ever villain there has to be a hero. Jesus Christ.

Satan is the cause of all this pain? What is the cause of Satan? God. Therefore, God is the cause of all the pain and suffering you described.

Logic my friend, logic.

I know this is off topic but I must say this.

DV if you had an experience like the Apostle Paul had on the road to Damascus would that warrant a belief in Him?

If you had the experience of Thomas when Christ appeared out of nowhere and He said thrust your hand in my side would that warrant a belief in Him?

If you had the experince of dying and found yourself in hell or found yourself standing in heaven before Him but suddenly you are revived by a team of doctors would that be a reason to believe in Him?

I don't think it would take anything near that extreme.

It didn't for you, did it?

No matter how you respond here to what has been written I will say this to you now, "In the name of Jesus Christ, son of the Living God and my Savior forever, that I bless you.:)

Thanks! With your personal blessing and a pocketful of lint, I now have...a pocketful of lint :)

Okay, I am locking this thread. based on the original post, these have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. If you want to debate proof of God, I think there is already a thread on it in here, possibly Question for the Resident Athiest. It could also be an older thread.

As I close this, let me leave you with this thought.

I tell Bob about Fire. I tell him that Fire burns, I tell him that fire gives heat, I tell him that I have seen people burned by fire, I tell him that I have friends that are kept warm by fire. Bob is content where is he. He does not want to accept what I have told him about fire and is not open to the possibility of exploring fire with his heart. Does that mean I have not presented enough evidence of Fire?

Gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back