Hi hello!

zanidar

Just wanted to post a greeting to you all.

It sure is a blessing to find a Christian Gaming community!!

My family are long time MMO gamers (up to 4 accounts at one point). From EQ and DAOC to WAR and of course 6 years of Wow (I'm solo currently in a 25m raiding guild, horde side). but im growing tired of wow and WAR was a huge disappointment ( I so much wanted it to work too :eek: )

My oldest son 19(USAF stationed in MO) gave up WoW and is really looking at Rift!. The wife, of course, wants to play with him. So me, I get the pleasure of deciding if I want to join them and give up my end game characters in wow.

RP servers are our favorite and low and behold I found Reborn .. kinda neat! here i am.

While my wife and oldest are having to wait a few weeks (he just ordered a new pc to play rift) I got in on the free weekend to test out classes, souls, and game play.

Very interesting game, the environment reminds me a lot of WAR. The UI and gameplay is all WoW. The souls seem to be a mix of all the WoW talent trees narrowed down to 4 class types with a few extra twists.

So I have a few questions.
I'm seeing lots of talk about shards being abandoned and lifeless... How is Sunrest?
I'm also seeing lots of talk of Mages being OP and getting nerfed soon thus making clerics FOTM. Is there truth in this?
As with most MMO's there is probably a lack of tanks and healers for High end content. how bad is it for Sunrest?

My son want to be a tank type/ paladin. Wife and I are deciding who is gonna be cleric or the mage. If we were allowed to join Reborn then what class type are you needing atm?

thanks for your time ..

Have a great day

Z

Hi Z!

Well as for end game within Reborn right now we do have a decent balance. And we do have a few others coming up. I would say just pick a class, and you will fit right in.

The deversity of the classes are the reason that almost any person can fill a role in a instance or raid.

As for your other questions, Sunrest was one of the highest population servers at one point and I believe thats still the case, at least always lots of peope around when I am on :).

Mage is not OP, they just got a buff that makes them more balanced to the other classes. I would wager to say although they are trying to make changed in class balance all the time, Mages will get some ups and some downs, but overall They are the glass cannon, or utility class that is able to crowd control a ton, or burst damage, but are easlity burned down in most cases.

Welcome! Glad to have you and sounds like your family will be a great fit.

As for class, pick what sounds fun, don't chase the FotM as it will always be a moving target. Patches come fast too. Sunrest has always been top 5 population so there are no worries about a lifeless server. I am in a login waiting queue right now of 250 people.

I would agree that it seems a lot more like WAR then WoW. I still feel the pain from my CE WAR account that sits gathering dust.

I love the game (Rift) personally, just signed up for 6 months. Feel free to ask all the questions you have, we love to help! ;)

Our shard is not lifeless. You can check rifts main site and see shards status' and during peak NA times I've yet to see a low pop server. My main is lvl 40 and alt at 8 and there is always people around. I mostly play between 9pm-1am pst weekdays. As far as what class is OP is mostly a subjective argument. I play a cleric and have ups and downs with all classes. There is alot of variety with the soul system, however there are always going to be min/maxers cranking out what the best numbers are going to be for each class.

Look forward to seeing you on.

It's really hard to say what classes or soul combos are OP... it's really more about who you group with and how well you play together. My wife & I were on our cleric pair (both as healers) and it took a group of 7 to finally take us down... and that was only because they CCd one of us and silenced the other.

But we were sitting side-by-side, talking through the whole thing. On the other hand, when I play my warrior, I get stupid and charge through lines in warfronts, making every healer cringe... on both sides. hehe

My mage seems pretty powerful, but I haven't played him enough to get the spell rotation figured out. But I know that when Ambry plays her Chloromancer, the team does significantly better (she does awesome DPS and healing at the same time).

With there being several of you... you'll find that as long as you stay together, focus targets, cross-heal, etc... you'll have a blast.

wow.. thanks for the responses.
A few more questions:
1. mage - most of the info I'm acquiring is from the rift forums :( but i have noticed most people post about using soul combination's that are NOT what the game recommends. Why is that? did the dev's get it wrong?

2. Cleric - I got him to like level 7 or 8 or something (enough for the 3rd soul) and i went with the standard shaman (2h), druid (fairy pet), then justicar.
he's getting gear with +int or +end or +wis and I'm not sure where to go with it. where do I focus? < -- the reason I ask is eventually he'll be asked to be a healer and I assume at some point I can buy another role and put healing souls in that role but.... will the gear I'm acquiring totally gimp him as a healer at say level 15 -20 (I ask that b/c people were spamming chat LFM healer level 16) which I ignore but in the back of my mind I'm thinking 'apparently they need pure healers that early'. I highly doubt low levels need 2 sets of gear.

sorry long post

wow.. thanks for the responses.
A few more questions:
1. mage - most of the info I'm acquiring is from the rift forums :( but i have noticed most people post about using soul combination's that are NOT what the game recommends. Why is that? did the dev's get it wrong?

2. Cleric - I got him to like level 7 or 8 or something (enough for the 3rd soul) and i went with the standard shaman (2h), druid (fairy pet), then justicar.
he's getting gear with +int or +end or +wis and I'm not sure where to go with it. where do I focus? < -- the reason I ask is eventually he'll be asked to be a healer and I assume at some point I can buy another role and put healing souls in that role but.... will the gear I'm acquiring totally gimp him as a healer at say level 15 -20 (I ask that b/c people were spamming chat LFM healer level 16) which I ignore but in the back of my mind I'm thinking 'apparently they need pure healers that early'. I highly doubt low levels need 2 sets of gear.

sorry long post

1.No the devs didnt get it wrong. BUT with all the spells that each soul has you have the plus of making your own class. Nuker with extra ability to CC. or the ability to summon a pet. OR what do you want. By the time you get to end game you will know all the souls in your tree. This is not to say you will like them all, or will have even spent time using them, but you will know them enough to give advise as to the uses of each soul and its spells and or synergy of passive skills. (thats a very deep subject and I would love to discuss it more with you, but TS3 might be easiest place to have this discussion.)

2. I am a level 50 cleric and I can tell you I feared that up front. Even thought as end game you will have gear that is big tank gear, at your level all the gear is about the same.

Hear me out: Spell power and Wisdom are your key skills regardless of if your tanking, healing, melee DPS, and or Ranged DPS.

Let me say this was a shock for me but it is true. Spell power items are very helpful. Spell power for cleric at least is mostly effected by Wisdom. Spell crit is effected by Int, and obviously your hit points are based on your Endurance.

Each of the Melee DPS and Tanking souls have a passive at first tier that makes you effective with Spell power and Spell crit (Faith in Action) Increases the clerics Attack power by thier spell power and their Physical Crit by thier Spell crit, and thier To hit by thier Spell Focus (you will not see spell focus till you get in your 40's I do not think).

As for tanking Justicar, same story. The bonuses from Spell power will become bonuses to your tankability.

Many Justicars make the mistake early on of trying to stack strength and or dex to get a better tank build but its not that way. You need to stack Wisdom, Int, and spell power. Early on I would say Spell power Items are most powerful for this build. Later on the wisdom will become almost as important. Wisdom will boost your spell power and make you regen mana quicker.

Few Key abilities in the Justicar line that will make you a tank!

Faith in Action (already discussed this)
Armor of Virtue (15% more armor can not beat that)
Life's Devotion (will make every swing of your weapon heal yourself, this is great for damage reduction)
Stalwart Citadel (Block rating increased by 30% of your Spell Power)
Precept of Refuge (Boosts your block by anouther 15% when you keep it active)
Safe Haven (boosts the % of the Precept of Refuge by anouther 5%)
DEVOUT DEFLECTION (perhaps the best tank ability. belive you will unlock that late 20's this will make your perry rating to boost by 195% of your spell power)
Mein of Leadership (this is the only reason a cleric is capable of tanking. This spell is amazing for the solo cleric DPSer and or very powerful for tanking. Threat gemeration is increased by 300 %, your Endurance by 90% ((more HP)) boosts the cleric armor by 100% and makes all non justicar heals reduced by 40%, and all non justicar attacks reduced by 40%.

The point to all this is that most of these things are effected by Spell power, and Wisdom. You will not be making yourself weak if you stay with Spell power and Wisdom, and Endurance. These are the same skills that the Healer wants for more hp, mana regen and Burst Heals.

The shaman and Druid souls are very similar in the passives you will find. The 195% parry makes for a character who misses alot of damage alltogether.

((Late game there are a few changes to this but we can discuss that when you get there.))

Last edited:
Hi again guys.. thanks for the help tag!
Here's an update.
My family democracy out voted me and all rolled on Faeblight.
In the past we have mostly played on PvP servers (I like end game and heavy PvP.) but my wife never liked it. She is a typical female farmer/casual player not much into the world pvp thing. She would become very frustrated being ganked over and over. So we all voted on where to roll and PvE was the outcome. :)

I do believe we are in the same BG battle group. So there is a good chance we will be fighting hand in hand at some point.

Thank you all for your time and efforts
God bless you.
Z

Ahh that is really a bummer, you guys will miss out on much of the dynamic content the game offers. No body likes to be ganked that's true, but it is not that bad in this game and all the opportunities for zone wide fun with pvp really out shines the occasional pain.
Some of the most fun I have ever had in a MMO is Rift open world PvP after a zone event finishes and the 2 sides go to war!

But I understand the family democracy, and yes we group with Faeblight for instanced PvP so we might see you out there! :)

Last edited:
Back