help gearing up please

Xaris

Looking for some advice from some of our higher leveled guys. re: gear.

For those of you who prefer not to/ or do not have the attention span to read walls of text here is a summery: end game gear? - rift (planerite) or pvp (favor) or both?

Or please read to understand my question:

I most recently came from playing Aion. I loved the game and pvp, but felt time to move on to something new. In Aion I found that when I hit lvl cap (50 at the time) that I really should have invested more time leveling in the pvp aspect of the game to accumulate the Abyss Points (pvp currency) needed to get gear necessary to do end game pvp. It was possible to get those points at cap but harder if not well geared (meaning already wearing earlier tiered pvp gear). Some pve or craft gear was good, but just not the same.

Here in Rift, and correct me if I am wrong, it seems there is Rift gear, pvp gear, dungeon/raid gear, and crafted stuff; each needing a different currency or mode of acquisition. Question is, which should I concentrate on spending my time in game on? Or does it matter?

I generally do not have the time to be in 2-3hr dungeons/raids. 1hr tops for a d.run is about what I can pull off as a working family man. As such raid gear is generally out. So that leaves Rift or pvp because I am assuming the crafted stuff is sub-par. Yet, at my level (26) it seems that both gear types are necessary because you can get neither as a full set and use both rift and pvp gear to fill slots. Does this change near end game? Are there full pvp or rift sets to be working towards.

I am not a "get best gear" type of player. I prefer to just enjoy the game as I go. However when I did that in previous games, what I wanted to do at end game got frustrating because I was not previously prepared. Make sense? Just looking to make the best use of time while in game. - chasing rifts or queing for WF? And if the answer is both, that works too.

So any of you in the 40 plus club that can give some insight that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I would say the most interesting part of this is as follows:

Although you can gain fervor pre level 50, you can not gain PvP ranks until you hit level 50. Although there may be some benifit to pvping for exp and levels pre level 50 I am not so sure its the case of gimping yourself for doing upper level pvping as you say Aion did.

Although I think the rift gear is better, I realize the pvp gear tends to have much higher endurance scores thus giving a higher chance to live in pvp.

I should spend some time comparing the items but I am not so sure you will end up going for just one over the other all the time...Ill get back with you on the who is better thing shortly.

I will say that gear is fairly easy to come by. Blues at the higher levels are very very common. Even epics are fairly accessible. I hear as of this post, that pvp gear thru prestige is the best gear in game. Prestige are pvp points gotten only at lvl 50. I plan on gearing up with dungeons and raids then using runes to augment them further.

There are many ways to gear up and I have heard multiple Developers say they expect people to be balanced between them. They fully intend for crafted gear to be viable especially the rare recipes. They expect lots of people to gear on expert dungeon and raid drops, and those who don't win the drops get plaques that can be used at vendors to buy gear. The PvP gear is pretty awesome but with heavy end and valor (resilience) on them I am not sure its what you want for 20 man raids. PvP is fun and its good exp so I have been doing a lot of it and saving my favor for purchases as they open up from the faction vendors. I have mostly been skipping the pvp vendors as I level due to out leveling the gear too fast.

Back