GvG Writeup, and Announcement

Well, we got slaughtered in GvG on Monday night. The team we faced brought in about 4 protection monks, and whenever one got in trouble, the others were able to heal. We didn't get a single kill. We came very close towards the end, and definitely got better. Here's some takeaways:

1. CALL YOUR TARGETS. One team member (preferably with TeamSpeak) needs to call targets, and then all offensive characters need to do their best to hit that target HARD.

2. DISRUPTION. We need Mesmers and Rangers to interrupt the spell casting. I came in as a pretty much ineffective E/Me, and I was able to shut down just one of their monks at a time, which left 3 monks healing and protecting. Once we get a practice/scrimmage arena in a new update, it will be much easier to time your interrupts.

3. PROTECT YOUR HEALER. One effective tactic that Paladin of Chaos and I came up with during a Underworld run was to form the "Wall of Meat" in front of the monk-- stack two or three warriors in between your monk and the opposition. If the disrupters are doing their job, and the warriors absorb the melee damage, what little damage comes through should be able to be quickly taken care of.

FOR NEXT TIME. I propose we use a variation of the "healing ball" technique-- we have two Warriors with Endure Pain line up in front of two healing/protection Monks who have Vital Blessing and Heal Area. Monks use Vital Blessing on themselves, and Heal Area will heal themselves, the warriors, and the opposing warriors (who we should kill last anyhow).

The remainder of the team can be made up of a Mesmer disrupter, a Ranger disrupter, and two damage dealer Ele's. The Ele's will need to "snipe" enemy spellcasters while the Ranger and Mesmer keep interrupting their monks healing.

Any idea whether this could work?

Also, the announcement-- I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow (Friday, 7-15) through next Saturday (7-23). Don't worry, I haven't quit. ;)

One of the significant upgrades I made on my monk was changing my secondary from warrior to elementalist. I found during our Tombs experience on Wednesday that earth magic, specifically Armor of Earth, made my monk a whole lot harder to kill, and I can couple that with Spell Breaker to keep the spells off my hide for about 15 seconds. Between those two, I can make myself hard enough to kill for our main forces to squash the opposing monk. Given that lightning is the spell of choice in PvP - and given that warrior armor is very vulnerable to lightning - any anti-elemental wards and interrupts would be priceless.

Back