Good christian music

S

SirLagalott

Hi everyone, you may/may not know me, but I'm looking for some good Christian bands to start following, as I don't know of many.

The styles I like in order are: Country, Blue-ishy stuff (Eric Clapton/Cream, not 'real' blues), Jazz, Alternativ type stuff, and I'm kinda sorta into classic rock like Led Zeppelin and all them old groups (only kinda). I also like Christian Rap because it seems more Christian than a lot of other stuff that I listen to, but it may be because they talk a lot more, dunno.

I don't know that there are many Christian-y Country singers, as I've tried looking before, but if anyone gets any luck, let me know.

Thanks,

--Laggy

If you like Country, you'll probably like Steven Curtis Chapman.

Then some Christian country artists I'm aware of are Randy Travis, Collin Raye, and Marty Raybon.

I honestly don't have any good music recommendations for you though because I don't listen to a lot of Country.

My best recommendation for you is to go into a local Christian bookstore like Lempstone or Oneway. They often have displays set up where you can listen to some of the music to see what you like.

Another thing is to go to http://www.ichristian.com. Click on the musicforce link and you can listen to audio samples of most of the cds.

There's a lot of Christian rap out there, but I don't listen to a lot of it either. About the only rap group I really listen to is DC Talk, but after their first couple of albums they kind of switched from rap to POP. Toby Mac's solo album is pretty cool though.

Criostoir - You are much too kind. I worked for iChristian.com, but they got bought out by CBD about 2.5 years ago. I'm very happy to see you still using the name. You've made my day!
laugh.gif

Laggy - Don't know country at all. There is a blues guy...VERY good. But I don't remember his name. I have it written down on some scrap of paper because I've wanted to buy some of his stuff, but I have no idea where the piece of paper is. I guess I'm no help there. There is some Jazz stuff. Depends on what style you are looking for. I really like some of Phil Driscoll's stuff. Especially his Selah I album. Great jazz. I want to hear Selah II. Some of his albums are jazz and others are music with lyrics. You should listen before buying. Abraham Laboriel (great bass player) and Justo Almario (great sax player) are both quite good.

You didn't mention him, but if you like Joe Satriani guitar rock, Lothar Kosse is fantastic. I think most of his stuff is all German imports. But the guy is great.

I'm also interested in any good jazz or prog rock out there.

The Paul Coleman Trio is a GREAT Christian alternitive/contempory rock band.

Earthsuit is another awesome band. They lean more towards rap & electronic music. (their website is stupid, but their music is awesome).

For countryish rock try Bleach (their older stuff).

For more Christian music go to Christian Guitar Resources. They have all kinds of stuff there (reviews, tabs, forums (you'll find me in the computer forum
smile.gif
))

Im not entering this conversation cause me no like country music.

But if anyone is looking for good hardcore christian metal, look me up.
cool.gif

Oh yeah, if you like Jazz you might like The W's, Jason and the G-Men, and Memphis Swing.

Some other groups I like (I'm not gonna categorize though, and they're all different genres)

Lifehouse (marketed as secular though)
P.O.D.
DC Talk
Steve Taylor
Switchfoot
Audio Adrenaline
Third Day
Steven Curtis Chapman
Michael W. Smith
PFR
Plumb
Newsboys
Skillet
Pillar
Sonic Flood
etc.

If youre looking for Bluesy stuff(not old style blues either), then look for a guy named Sleepy Ray.  If you cant find any samples let me know and i'll send you a sample. You can also try to find some Phil Keaggy, awesome Christian musician with varying styles.

~peace

Too soft?!? You haven't listened to very much Christian music then. There are groups in every genre. What is it you're into? Punk, Rap, Ska?

Name the genre, and I can probably give you a list of groups to check out.

I have two "Christian Music Stations" in my town and they never play anything hard, anything fast, it's always the same old, same old, gilry voice: "JEsus How I Love Thee!" thing. Jaci Valasquez, Third Day, blah blah. I take my time in East-West, DC Talk, Creed (not really Christian), POD (Catholic but still kinda Christian in their music) and harder stuff like that.
I'm into hard music. I have yet to hear something truly Christian and truly hard, besides East-West. Relient K would pass, I think, as Christian Punk. But I've never heard them before. I'm also into any type of rock available.
"And I wonder, day to day, I don't like you, anyway!" -Whatever, Godsmack
Hard stuff like that, for anyone who's ever heard Godsmack or bands like them.
By soft I mean the above thing: "Jesus come quickly", "Jesus loves us all", "Jesus I love you", "God bless you all." I need something better than all that. Don't get me wrong: the lyrics are okay, but you know, there's more to God than just "He loves you." You know what I mean?

Ultima, almost any Christian Rap will be what your looking for. Very hard, very fast, very Christian lyrics.

I don't doubt that, but rap......I don't really like rap. I do sometimes, and what Christian rap I hear I like, but I need something rocking.

Good christian hard bands... (not the pansy stuff)

Tourniquet (www.tourniquet.net) - Fast technical thrash
Stavesacre (www.stavesacre.com) - Edgy emocore
Circle of Dust - Heavy industrial
Living Scarifice - Heavy metalcore

I know just about every christian band that has guitars in it but am contantly searching for more. (hence my other post). If you like a certain style i will try and find something u like.

Cool links. I think you may have posted them before, but always helpful to have. I already get Air1 over the air waves, but I'll have to check out the other site you mention. Thanks again for the recommendations.

air1 blah thats not much better then contempo.

a good way to find more christian music, is to check out the record label's site of a band you like, most have other bands with similar sounds.

Back