Gil - To get an idea of where I am at

Xaris

This may seem like a weird question, but it will help me know if I need to change something economically for me in game - How much money you guys sitting on and are you geared appropriately for your level for each job?

I am phys lvl 19 with Conj 12, Bot 12 and Weav 10 as my mains, the rest you can see in my sig below. I am geared only for a conj and not anything else, though I am doing ok with Bot, weav, arch and polearm wearing just a cowl. So you could say overall I am under geared.

My inventory is essentially filled for me and my retainer as is both of our bazaars, and I have about 200 crystal shards of each element with some full crystals as well.

I have tired crafting and selling stuff, though that is not netting a huge profit yet. And the leve quests only ring in about 25k per 8 leve round (estimate).

That all being said I presently have 175K gil. I have seen guys with 4 mil already. Just curious how you are doing economically and how are you (or are you not) making it work for you?

Ok ill share something. I am only sitting on 1.4mil. I know there are others that are sitting on much more. If you are one of the few high level crafters you make bank. Its like a pryamid scam. those at top make all the money.

However I made some good money leveling leather. It is really boring but you can level a craft you may need anyways and make money vendoring stuff. Sheepskin vamps sell for 110gill each. 1 sheepskin leather makes 12. 1 sheepskin makes 4 leather. I think you see where i am going. Start this around 11-12 leather and take to 15-16.

Other thing is if you dont want to be part of the sweet shop sell crystals to crafters in ulda and sell your shards to crafter at the guilds. no less that 200 oer shard and 2.5k per crystal.

Ok ill share something. I am only sitting on 1.4mil. I know there are others that are sitting on much more. If you are one of the few high level crafters you make bank. Its like a pryamid scam. those at top make all the money.

True.

Since I am not really in a hurry to be the first to reach level/rank cap for any class and dont spend 10+ hours online every day I'm only in rank 10's so far.

And moneywise usually between 50k - 200k. (Those higher rank tools are quite expensive)

Equipment wise I'm more or less geared up for my ranks. One or two tools for more or less ignored DoH jobs are still lvl 1, but otherwise tools, weapons, fighting gear, crafting gear is mostly on par with rank.

Last edited:
Moving from Karnak to Mysidia has been interesting, as I've seen two economies. Firstly, Mysidia is very mature compared to Karnak. When I go shopping, I mostly find finished goods and not materials, indicating to me that there are a lot of high level crafters out there.

So, this is a good thing for the buyer. Prices are generally lower on Mysidia and rank 10-20 gear pretty affordable. As I just restarted, I only have about 50k gil but it's been easy to make. With the sheer number of crafters I can sell shards/crystal really well. I just don't settle for less then 150 gil/shard and 2k gil/crystal. As I haven't crafted yet, this has funded my gearing so far.

My old character was a weaver and was in the top quartile. So I was able to sell cotton goods for a good profit and was sitting on 300k after a week. Not bad IMO.

What's also weird about Mysidia is the lack of low rank gear. I see rank 15s running around in rank 30 gear and just wonder why? Maybe they are leveling sub classes, but still. So I think you could still make decent money selling rank 10-20 gear, but it will probally only sell at slightly above cost.

I have one giant fear with FFXIV's economy, and that's saturation. Right now, there is no way to really remove gil or items from the market. If you out level your gear you can repair it and re-sell it. Items are not character only, so after a few months there is going to be tons or surplus equipment. So, crafters are NOT going to make much money down the road unless they deal in consumables. Repairs will also be the main source of business then unless some rare recipies get added. I see alchy's, being able to make ethers, maybe elixers, and other potions being a top money maker down the line. Culinarians will likely also be a late bloomer but will sustain profits.

In addition to item sturation, add to that the lack of big gil sinks. Top crafters will just get richer and richer, but what's the gil good for? Not much now. The only big gil sink is the repair NPC.

As one last note, if you want to make more gil do leve's at higher star levels with friends. That way, not only do you get a difficulty bonus, but when you turn them in you pick the top gil reward leve for that rotation first and turn in your top star rated leves. You'll net a nice bonus to the gil reward (up to 40%) right off the bat. So you can turn a 8,000 gil level into 11,200 gil. Then do that leve at 3 or more stars and your getting 15k+ gil for a single rank 10 leve. It's incetive to party and not just solo leves long term.

One thing that I see right now is gil pretty worthless since there are no meaningful things to spend it on. Just sits there. The real coin of the realm is Crystals and Shards. If you are not going to craft hoard those things. These crafters that are powerleveling are hitting a substantial brick wall. From what I am seeing you need like 1-2k shards per level past 30.

You can sell them for nice bank or use them as currency to have these crafters make you stuff. Chances are they have more gil than they will need for a long time so offering shards or crystals for mats or gear may work to your advantage.

On a side note. If you need some thing made and i can make it, give me mats and shards and ill try not to blow it up.
:eek:

Since I am not really in a hurry to be the first to reach level/rank cap for any class and dont spend 10+ hours online every day I'm only in rank 10's so far.

I agree with this. Those that are doing it, i think will find that at the end of the road there is nothing there till December. There is no point in getting max rank so fast in a game that has no real content atm.

Rank 20 is a good goal. Pre-December. It opens a few more content doors and you'll have a good foundation of multiple classes so you can specalize in one 20-50. I imagine notorious monsters (NMs) will open up beginning with guild leves beginning at 20.

On the shards being currency... I agree. And wind are the most valuable atm.

Back