Free Speech

Lloren

Christian Gamers Alliance Forums Administrator
Does the Bible talk about free speech?

I know that just because we have supposed "free" speech in the US it doesn't mean we have the right to free speech in the eyes of God.

The first thing that comes to mind is 1 Cor 10:23
I am posting it in a few versions because it really came across nicely to me this morning when I looked it up and saw all the different ways to say it.
New International Version (©1984)
"Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.

International Standard Version (©2008)
Everything is permissible, but not everything is helpful. Everything is permissible, but not everything builds up.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Someone may say, "I'm allowed to do anything," but not everything is helpful. I'm allowed to do anything, but not everything encourages growth.

King James Bible
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

American Standard Version
All things are lawful; but not all things are expedient. All things are lawful; but not all things edify.

Bible in Basic English
We are free to do all things, but there are things which it is not wise to do. We are free to do all things, but not all things are for the common good.

Darby Bible Translation
All things are lawful, but all are not profitable; all things are lawful, but all do not edify.

English Revised Version
All things are lawful; but all things are not expedient. All things are lawful; but all things edify not.

Weymouth New Testament
Everything is allowable, but not everything is profitable. Everything is allowable, but everything does not build others up.

Young's Literal Translation
All things to me are lawful, but all things are not profitable; all things to me are lawful, but all things do not build up;

I would think that freedom to say what you want is allowed due to a verse like this, but it is very clear that there are consequences to what we say and we are to be aware of that. As a follower of Christ I, personally, would want to be more concerned with what is beneficial not what is just permissible. I know this attitude would please God more.

Last edited:
Love that verse. What a picture of the freedom Christ has given us, freedom to love each other.

Galatians 5:13 You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.

The first scripture that comes to my mind is Acts 4 where Peter and John are before the Sanhedrin. They have just been command by the authorities to no longer preach in the name of Jesus.

But Peter and John replied, "Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God."
Acts 4:19

That is courage! Sometimes I wish it was it was so Black and White today. Sometimes it can be very unclear where the line is.

God bless,
Bill

Given the founders of this country wanted to create a society where free expression of religion would not be oppressed by the government... I wonder if this was biblically based.

What would Jesus do? Jesus forbade the demons to speak. Paul forbade women to speak openly in church.

Does the Bible talk about free speech?

I know that just because we have supposed "free" speech in the US it doesn't mean we have the right to free speech in the eyes of God.

The Bible has a lot to say as far as how Christians speak. This does not mean we should push our convictions on non-Christians.

Given the founders of this country wanted to create a society where free expression of religion would not be oppressed by the government... I wonder if this was biblically based.

What would Jesus do? Jesus forbade the demons to speak. Paul forbade women to speak openly in church.

I believe the founders' intensions were to limit the big, highly oppressive government. That government imposed a national religion, a most unholy union of church and state that dates back to Constantine. It is most unbiblical to force religion or convictions on someone.

What would Jesus do? Jesus would tell Christians to obey the Bible. He would have no orders for non-Christians, but would certainly befriend them and encourage them for their betterment and the betterment of the Kingdom.

Lastly, Paul forbade women to speak openly in church, but those Scriptures MUST be read in a historical context. I don't have the knowledge to explain it properly, but that verse does not apply to today's women.

Back