Feb. 5, 2004

Kidan

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all
—Philippians 2:17

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are you willing to sacrifice yourself for the work of another believer—to pour out your life sacrificially for the ministry and faith of others? Or do you say, "I am not willing to be poured out right now, and I don’t want God to tell me how to serve Him. I want to choose the place of my own sacrifice. And I want to have certain people watching me and saying, ’Well done.’ "

It is one thing to follow God’s way of service if you are regarded as a hero, but quite another thing if the road marked out for you by God requires becoming a "doormat" under other people’s feet. God’s purpose may be to teach you to say, "I know how to be abased . . ." ( Philippians 4:12 ). Are you ready to be sacrificed like that? Are you ready to be less than a mere drop in the bucket-to be so totally insignificant that no one remembers you even if they think of those you served? Are you willing to give and be poured out until you are used up and exhausted—not seeking to be ministered to, but to minister? Some saints cannot do menial work while maintaining a saintly attitude, because they feel such service is beneath their dignity.

service though hidden.

In the gospels, Jesus often grew angry at those who worshipped God for the praise of others. He taught that if we fasted, we should not put on sackcloth, and ashes, but rather, wash ourselves, and carry on business as usual. In the epistles, this concept is broadened to include all types of works. Whenever we do something, we should not seek praise for it. We should be anonymous. We should be hidden.

This goes against everything the world teaches. The world wants to express it's gratitude for the things you do. you make a donation to a charity, they want to place your name in the paper. you help an old lady across the street, it's a human interest story on the 6oclock news. The world wants to recognize you, place praise on you, and in general, worship you for your good works.

It's so sad that so many Christians fall for it. Never realizing, that by doing so, they've already received their reward for that. They recieved it in the praise of the world, rather than the praise of Christ. As a Christian we should ensure that we are always in a state of humble service, never broadcasting what we've done. Rather when you do a good work, hide it under a basket. Again, this flies in face of worldy wisdom.

Let your good works, be hidden, and your bad works come to light. For you will receive praise from Christ for the hidden good works, and He will help you overcome, deal with, and move on from, your bad works that you bring to Him.

Back