Feb. 20, 2004

Kidan

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Arise, let us go from here
—John 14:31

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Daydreaming about something in order to do it properly is right, but daydreaming about it when we should be doing it is wrong. In this passage, after having said these wonderful things to His disciples, we might have expected our Lord to tell them to go away and meditate over them all. But Jesus never allowed idle daydreaming. When our purpose is to seek God and to discover His will for us, daydreaming is right and acceptable. But when our inclination is to spend time daydreaming over what we have already been told to do, it is unacceptable and God’s blessing is never on it. God will take the initiative against this kind of daydreaming by prodding us to action. His instructions to us will be along the lines of this: "Don’t sit or stand there, just go!"

If we are quietly waiting before God after He has said to us, "Come aside by yourselves . . ." then that is meditation before Him to seek His will ( Mark 6:31 ). Beware, however, of giving in to mere daydreaming once God has spoken. Allow Him to be the source of all your dreams, joys, and delights, and be careful to go and obey what He has said. If you are in love with someone, you don’t sit and daydream about that person all the time—you go and do something for him. That is what Jesus Christ expects us to do. Daydreaming after God has spoken is an indication that we do not trust Him.

Verse in Context...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You heard that I said to you, `I go away, and I will come to you.' If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced because I go to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. Now I have told you before it happens, so that when it happens, you may believe. I will not speak much more with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me; but so that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me. Get up, let us go from here.

--John 14:28-31

This is an interesting devotional. I probably find it so, mainly because a good portion of my job is literally daydreaming. Half the time developing software, is dreaming up the way it works, the way it handles data, and even the way it cleans up after itself. My job consists of daydreaming, and as I am assigned more and more projects on my own, I spend more and more time doing that daydreaming.

But that's not what the author's talking about. What tha author is talking about is we have been given certain commands to do. The most famous is of course to spread the gospel throughout the world. Now which should we do, should we sit around and dream about it, or should we start with the person who's sitting 10 feet away from us?

Read Verse 31 again "but so that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me."

Think on that! We show our love to our father (both here on earth and our HEavenly one) by our obedience! I do EXACTLY as the Father commanded me.

Are you doing exactly as the Father commanded you? Are you doing exactly as your father commanded you?

If not, then arise, go forth, and SHOW your love for the Father.

Back