Desires of the Heart

Genesis1315

Ladies
I need some help on this one....

Would God give us a desire (one that within a Biblical mandate) and not fulfill it? Would He not take it (the desire) away if we were not meant to have it?

Gen

Great question, Gen! This is something that I have often wondered.

I had a page of quotes by Bill Gothard and one stood out to me, unfortunately, not verbatim. It said basically that God will give us the desires of our heart, and if we walk wiht Him, He will change those desires if they are not in line with His. I know Psalm 37:4 says that he will give us the desires of our heart if we delight in Him. As far as our desires being transformed to His desires, I infer from Psalm 119:9

Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

that by doing His Word my ways will be cleansed and my desires lined up with His.

There are many desires that we have that are not necessarily evil. I have to watch that they do not consume me, and pray that God will not give me anything that is not in accordance to His perfect will. Nevertheless, I have the same question, if I desire something that is not unGodly, does that mean that this desire is His will for me?

Well, yes. He gave you a desire for him... And he NEVER fulfills that. 'Cause you NEVER WILL fulfill it. :)

and he gives you a desire for helping people... And you never heard of a Christian who said:

*OH. Enough giving. I'm fulfilled for helping the homeless. I feel happy.*

Genesis1315 said:
I need some help on this one....

Would God give us a desire (one that within a Biblical mandate) and not fulfill it? Would He not take it (the desire) away if we were not meant to have it?

Gen

AWWWWW TRICK QUESTION!

Poor Form Poor Form (Just kidding)

What is the desire, I could have the desire to save my mother, but bible thruming calling her a sinner and a spawn odf hell, will not broing her closer to God.

so my point is we need to know the details to help you find some sound scripture to make a rightous decision

A friend brought me a book 48 Days To the Work You Love...as I scanned through it, I came to this...God continues to work and speak in the most mysterious of ways...

I recently received a note from a person who asked how to stop wanting things that he couldn't get in life.
That is either a very painful or a very misguided question. How do you stop wanting those things that you want? How do you become numb to the desires of your heart? Should you just find a job that pays the bills and try to forget doing something you really enjoy? I think not! Clarify what you want, create a plan of action, and begin to walk toward the goal you want.

I guess this answers the question. If what we desire lines up with Scripture, then go for it! I always have that little hesitancy. I pray that I do not receive anything that does not line up with His will for me, and I want to trust the one who sees all my days to decide what is best for me.

Brother Clint Caviness, a youth pastor at the time, once said that you should have hopes and dreams and it is okay to put pictures up to remind you of your desires and goals. I guess I always shied away from this because of the "name it and claim it" movement. I have always heard that God has a permissive will and a perfect will. I want my desires to line up with His perfect will.

What is the desire, I could have the desire to save my mother, but bible thruming calling her a sinner and a spawn odf hell, will not broing her closer to God.

There is nothing wrong with the desire, but the execution of the desire could lead to some problems. And it is not the execution of the desire to which I am refering, but just the desire in and of itself. Biblical based desires

1. seeing family members come to salvation through Christ
2. giving money to God's work on earth
3. getting married to a Godly mate
4. having a family
5. working in a ministry
6. God's peace in their life
7. unshakable faith
etc, etc, etc

What the biblical desire is, is really not the material...I think all of the above would fit into the Biblical desire category. (not all apply to me) perhaps it is as easy as defining the desire then setting a path to achieving it, but what happens when it still does not come?

Gen

*knock*
*knock*
Is anyone out there?
What does a sweet, wonderful lady who starts a thread have to do to get responses to her quesiton?

Marcylene said:
*knock*
*knock*
Is anyone out there?
What does a sweet, wonderful lady who starts a thread have to do to get responses to her quesiton?

ASk?

What can we help you with?

Hello! So nice to see you! :)
Please come right in, sit right down, take off your shoes and relax.
Make yourself at home.
Would you like something to eat or drink?
Please answer post#1 and post#8.
We hope the LORD is blessing your socks off today!!!
:)

Last edited:
Genesis1315 said:
There is nothing wrong with the desire, but the execution of the desire could lead to some problems. And it is not the execution of the desire to which I am refering, but just the desire in and of itself. Biblical based desires

1. seeing family members come to salvation through Christ
2. giving money to God's work on earth
3. getting married to a Godly mate
4. having a family
5. working in a ministry
6. God's peace in their life
7. unshakable faith
etc, etc, etc

What the biblical desire is, is really not the material...I think all of the above would fit into the Biblical desire category. (not all apply to me) perhaps it is as easy as defining the desire then setting a path to achieving it, but what happens when it still does not come?

Gen

Desire and passion are prevalent throughout the bible. In and of themselves there is nothing wrong. But to put that passion above the Lord Jesus Christ is wrong. To grab the mind set of the ends justifies the means is wrong.

The Lord Jesus Christ can give us a desire and a passion to further the kingdom of heaven. (Youth group, street ministry etc,) And while this passion and burn fervently in our hearts, the Devil can come along and twist the situation to cause division, by working offenses. Jesus warned us of this, and tells us to pray thru offense,

We have all heard of PUSH (Pray until something happens.) If you are striving to see the conclusion of a God ordained Goal, you will see its fruitition.

If you truly believe what you have started is Gods will for your life you will see its end. If do not think its going to come to pass, I would encourage you to press on until you feel released from it by God. If you are not released, you need to press forward. This may be a threshing time for you.

I hope that all makes sense

I ran across this today at work. A perk of the job is that we are allowed to listen to whatever we want on the internet. Preach it on Preachers!!! :) Sadly, these sermons are rotated and will only be available for the next couple of weeks. At the bottom of the page are two sermons in the series of the Desires of Your Heart.

I love this group! xxxooo Many things that are discussed here stay with me. I think in part, because they come from a people who desire to serve the LORD and are guided by the quiet peacefulness of the Holy Spirit. I received this daily devotion in my email today and remembered this thread and the question I have pondered for the almost seven months since that time.

Daily devotions for 09-29-2005:

Title: Maybe This Year...?
Author: Elisabeth Elliot
Book: Keep A Quiet Heart

"I hardly know where to start," a letter begins. "My story is not one involving men. That's the problem. Male companionship seems not to be found, and, I fear, may never be found. They never ask me out twice. I'm always 'dumped.' The problem is I want a relationship. I have this overwhelming desire...."

Someone else said to me, "I fell deeply in love. He fell deeply in love, too--with someone else."

Another letter tells of the agonized yearning of one couple for a child. Since God has not removed the desire, they ask, may we not conclude that He wants us to employ whatever means we can (e.g., in vitro fertilization) in order to have a child?

God's not having taken away a perfectly normal human desire does not by any means indicate that we are free to pursue its fulfillment in any way we choose. A woman who had, after years of struggles, quickly lost sixty pounds told me that she had been expecting God to take away her appetite. When she realized He did not intend to
do so (she had been asking for the removal of our God-given protection from starvation!), she stopped gratifying that appetite in the wrong ways.

Will the young woman find a mate? Will the couple have a child? Maybe this year will be the year of desire fulfilled. Perhaps, on the other hand, it will be the year of desire radically transformed, the year of finding, as we have perhaps not yet truly found, Christ to be the All-Sufficient One, Christ the "deep, sweet well of Love."

"Why won't God let someone into my life? I feel left out, abandoned. When will it be my turn?" The petulant letter goes on. "I feel deprived! Will He deny me the one small desire of my heart? Is it too big a treasure to ask? I sit in torture and dismay."

Life is likely to continue to hold many forms of torture and dismay for that unhappy person and for all who refuse to receive with thanksgiving instead of complaint the place in life God has chosen for them. The torture is self-inflicted, for God has not rejected their prayers. He knows better than any of us do what furthers our salvation. Our true happiness is to be realized precisely through his refusals, which are always
mercies. His choice is flawlessly contrived to give the deepest kind of joy as soon as it is embraced.

Joseph Eliot, in the seventeenth century, said, "I need everything God gives me, and want [or feel the lack of] nothing He denies me."

In Moses' review of God's leading of the children of Israel he said,

2And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.
3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.
4 Thy raiment waxed not old upon thee, neither did thy foot swell, these forty years.
5 Thou shalt also consider in thine heart, that, as a man chasteneth his son, so the LORD thy God chasteneth thee.
6 Therefore thou shalt keep the commandments of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to fear him.
7 For the LORD thy God bringeth thee into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and depths that spring out of valleys and hills;
8 A land of wheat, and barley, and vines, and fig trees, and pomegranates; a land of oil olive, and honey;
9 A land wherein thou shalt eat bread without scarceness, thou shalt not lack any thing in it; a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills thou mayest dig brass. Deuteronomy 8

The cause of our discontent: We simply do not believe God. The wilderness experience leads to the Promised Land. It is the path God chose for us. His Word is established forever, and He tells us in a thousand ways that His will is our peace, His choices for us will lead to fulfillment and joy, the way of transgressors is hard. Do we suppose that we could find a better way than His?

One of George Eliot's characters says:

"You are seeking your own will, my daughter. You are seeking some good other than the law you are bound to obey. But how will you find good? It is not a thing of choice; it is a river that flows from the foot of the Invisible Throne, and flows by the path of obedience. I say again, man cannot choose his duties. You may choose to forsake your
duties, and choose not to have the sorrow they bring. But you will go forth, and what will you find, my daughter? Sorrow without duty--bitter herbs, and no bread with them."

Instead of seeing His everlasting love, tenderly bending down to our humanness, longing over each one of us with a father's speechless longing; we sometimes think of Him as indifferent, inaccessible, or just plain unfair.

The worst pains we experience are not those of the suffering itself but of our stubborn
resistance to it, our resolute insistence on our independence. To be "crucified with Christ" means what Oswald Chambers calls "breaking the husk" of that independence. "Has that break come?" he asks. "All the rest is pious fraud." And you and I know, in our heart of hearts, that that sword-thrust (so typical of Chambers!) is the straight truth.

If we reject this cross, we will not find it in this world again. Here is the opportunity
offered. Be patient. Wait on the Lord for whatever He appoints, wait quietly, wait
trustingly. He holds every minute of every hour of every day of every week of every month of every year in His hands. Thank Him in advance for what the future holds, for He is already there. The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot. Psalm 16:5 Shall we not gladly say, "I'll take it, Lord! YES! I'll trust you for everything. Bless the Lord, O my soul!"

It is interesting to see this thread come back up. I have spent some time contemplating this topic recently (thanks to some very long car rides). It has been incredibly challenging to:

Be patient. Wait on the Lord for whatever He appoints, wait quietly, wait

And it is even more challenging to give that response to family and friends. Yet, in this wait and being patient, the Lord reveals more and more of Himself. It is only through trusting Him on all aspects of Life does He reveal more of Himself. The verse "Be Still and Know that I am God" has taken on a whole new meaning.

Psalms 4
1 Answer me when I call, God, who vindicates me. You freed me from affliction; be gracious to me and hear my prayer.
2 How long, exalted men, will my honor be insulted? [How long] will you love what is worthless and pursue a lie?
Selah
3 Know that the Lord has set apartthe faithful for Himself; the Lord will hear when I call to Him.
4 Be angry and do not sin; on your bed, reflect in your heart and be still. Selah
5 Offer sacrifices in righteousness and trust in the Lord.

6 Many are saying, ";Who can show us anything good?"; Look on us with favor, Lord.
7 You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and new wine abound.
8 I will both lie down and sleep in peace, for You alone, Lord, make me live in safety.

Gen

Be still and know that I am God. I love that verse! I have to often meditate on that one. So many times as of late I have also lived What time I am afraid, I will trust in Thee. I love that older saints often speak of the providence of God. I think they understand being still and unwavering trust...so opposite of our frantic pace of today. I read of a mother bird petrified in ashes. As a National Geographic photographer was photographing the aftermath of a forest fire. He knocked the mother bird over only to discover baby chicks under her wings. I am certain those chicks must have wanted to run, were afraid, and even felt some heat from the fire, but under those wings...

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

You posted that verse to me through some extreme trials. It has been a blessing, and yes, with Him there is safety. Oh, may the first desire of our heart forever be, to put Him first, and love Him most.

Last edited:
Back