Debating with atheists

Skibabinz

So I usually watch debates on the existence of God on youtube rather frequently, not only because the topic is one I feel is important (mainly to spread the word that God is real), but also because I love to debate. However I've recently let my "attitude" I suppose I can say, get the best of me and I began pointing out things and debating things with some of the people who comment on the video's I watch. Now when I done this, I began getting a sort of feeling like someone was trying to hold me back from responding. I took this as a sign of God not wanting me to do that, but I prayed about it last night and I'm still not sure what to do.

What do you guys think? The debater in me wants to keep adding fuel to the fire I suppose where as the Christian in me says "Just let it go, you've said what you needed to say".

the odds of someone converting to your beliefs, no matter how good your reasoning/logic, is very very slim. Depending on the open mindedness of the individual, you can choose whether or not to spend your time in conversation. I too love to debate but when it comes to youtube, if I feel the urge to speak to someone, I will do it through a private message. Actually, this post reminded me to check on a conversation I've been having through youtube private messages. We really do have the potential to help though... but you must choose your battles because some things aren't worth it. For instance, arguing with a staunch atheist over the existence of God in some video's comments isn't near as beneficial as helping someone to re-evaluate their image of "God" in a way that isn't attacking them.

There are a lot of people who do more harm than good when trying to defend Christ it seems and as fellow Christians, we have to be able to accept the fact that we are with them to an extent. Most of the anti-Christians just seem to have a twisted idea of the nature of Christ and get so caught up on people who preach not-so-good news... I've found that if I can find things that we are in agreement about, I will try to work from that angle. I have no problem in saying that I struggle with certain questions or whatever!

Anyways.... I do think that it can be beneficial or negative depending on how you say things and what you say. Some people just aren't worth arguing with. In all circumstances though, definitely be praying for the people you're conversing with!

I know from the Bible that I must do everything in a Godly manner so it seems that I should be sure I am not debating because I feel arguementative. It also seems that I had better be sure I am acting Christ like when I speak. It seems that in reality only the Holy Spirit can convince a person to believe so I think I should do my best to witness as the Holy Spirit leads instead of whenever I feel like it. The Bible warns against casting pearls before swine and I know God does not mean that as a put-down. Instead it means not to give the things of God to those who cannot see their value, so it seems to mean that only debate if someone seems to value doing so. I think it is possible that God will tell us NOT to say something. Jesus seems to have followed a plan that the Father laid out. He spoke when it was the right time and place to do so. I think we can keep an ear to God and He can lead us when to speak and when not to.:)

Back